Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been having a hell of a time finding the problem on my car ever since I installed a fc tb. Seems a lot of others have had problems too, so I thought I'd share. The tb-->intake manifold gasket is very very thin between the round hole in the middle and the bypass passage. Since only air is going thru, it's hard to detect a leak, but mine was on for a few thousand miles, and upon inspection it had been swapping. This caused my loping idle to get worse, it was hanging at rpm like a lot of other ppls have had problems with, and it caused a cel. I've seen about a hundred bajillion threads about problems ppl have had, and it all seems to boil down to a vacuum leak. The ports on the tb are substantially different than the ports on the intake, and when overlapped with a thin gasket it's just asking for trouble in my opinion. I ordered a new gasket which was no better, and ended up making my own out of gasket material. A little port matching was in order too at this time. I wonder if this is the cause of anyone elses problems? Hmm. I spent weeks trying to find the problem, just because I've done so many mods in such a short amount of time, that it could have been anything. Oh well, if it helps someone else in the future, I guess it was worth the trouble. Lemme know opinions, give it a look. later doods

g

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
SO technically if anyone has an FC TB, they need to make a new gasket?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not necessarily, mine was in there for quite a while so the air going from one side to the other kinda soaked it, that's why it blew out I think. If your gasket looks ok, just look down thru the tb when installing it, and make sure the gasket in that spot isn't pooched out into the main round area. If it is, just loosen the two bolts on the driver's side and shove it back in with a screwdriver or something while tightening it back down. I think if it's in there, where it belongs, from the beginning it'd probably be ok. Just a bad gasket design. I put some gasket eliminator goop stuff on the gasket to make it tacky til my new gaskets arrive. I'm interested to see what the new one does. Hope this helps..

g

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
same gasket for 2 years...even though the news ones are a bit thicker then my original, still working fine, still no leak(if you think you got a leak, spray carb cleaner all over it and see what the car does)

But good stuff nontheless...glad it works better now for you...you could also make your own gasket if you want, very easy, get some liquid gasket maker, like $2, and that way you can make sure it seals, however, i didnt need it

·
Registered
872 Posts
The original gen one FCTB had a very thin paper gasket and it specified that you stick it on with RTV sealant. I had somewhat of a high idle at first too and when I put the sealant on it solved this. I agree that the itty bitty space between the idle air pass through and the main opening is a problem spot for that.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just found out the gasket came with the fc and it's not the factory one. haha I forgot my factory tb had the rubber o-ring style. hmm, Well is it possible to get the paper type from fc? My tb is borrowed and I'm gonna have to give it back some day <crying>. I'm gonna need a new gasket eventually. Anyone know? I think when I buy one for my own, I'm going to do the port matching and make the gasket better than the one I have. Hmm, maybe I have the old style.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
i had to plug 2 of the bypass holes in mine for it to work properly. b4 i did that i sealed the gasket with rtv and replaced the tps

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
mr.s, I got a couple of extra gaskets (thick) from Black Diamond. They can help you out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts