Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for impressions. Low end, fuel mileage, and driveability.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, if nobody knows I'll accept donations to do the research and fill you guys in!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Impression, by itself as a first mod, not worth it. Wait until you have done intake and complete exhaust. Two magazines have done dynos on it, Muscle Mustangs & Fast Ford, and Sport Compact, the net result was a gain of 1-3 HP.

Nothing specific to the automatic to mention. I have had it on my 2001 ZX3 automatic, drivability was fine, no change in fuel usage. At the 1/4 mile track, times improved with the stock throttle back on the car.

Installation is a breeze, see this How-To Library article, comlete with streaming video of the installation at http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/65mm.htm

In my opinion, put the money toward a good CAI, complete exhaust(header, cat, flexpipe, catback), and adjustable cam gears.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CAI is done. I was actually hoping that a tb would cause a quicker decision to downshift. Right now, the darn tranny wants to think about it forever.
Thanks, all good info!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by orndog:
CAI is done. I was actually hoping that a tb would cause a quicker decision to downshift. Right now, the darn tranny wants to think about it forever.
Thanks, all good info!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">nope. that's controlled by the PCM. you need a chip

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by Iconman190:
I did mine with a volant air and it seem to give some added HP.But the one thing it did was to make the engine run much smoother.I also have a cat backby magnaflow.I think the next mod i want to do will be the chip,Im looking for better throtle responce.some times my car gets slow.
does the chip also make the injecters pump more gas?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No. Chips are supposed to alter your engine timing so you can use higher octane gas. The also remove the rev limiter and speed limiter.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Dude automatic with a chip is worth it.
I have a Super chip and notice right off.
it revese faster higher and better. it still gets slow on take offs. Like if you floor it from a dead stand still. 25 to 30 is a nice sweat spot during those mph floor it she will hop up and take off I left a Acura Interga in dust doing that.
The only thing i have done are this

1. FocusSport intake and heat shield

2. No hoodliner

3. FocusSport plug wires

4. Superchip

5. Intake tube from a manual focus without resonator over vavle cover

6. Underdrive pulley by Ford Racing w/ gatorback belt

7. Just intalled a instrument cluster with tach
dosn't add HP hahah but help with lauching of the lights foot brake and gas it untill rpm come up let off the brake.

man i did my first front wheel drive burn out the other day. I had smoke up and over the fender. And under the car moving toward the rear tires. Just do that same thing like above but just before you let off the foot brake yank the e-brake all the way up. I very cool burn out. make sure you don;t have the rpms up to high when you start you don't want to hurt you axles and cv joints. My wife took this photo for me a bit too early because it had more smoke about 5 second later.

[ 10-09-2002, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Team-Black ]

·
Registered
481 Posts
Originally posted by orndog:
I was actually hoping that a tb would cause a quicker decision to downshift. Right now, the darn tranny wants to think about it forever.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So just shift it yourself. 90% of my driving in my automatic is manually shifting, no sense in being in overdrive at 30mph around town...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but I won't be paying 20 cents extra a gallon for premium fuel, so that's not gonna happen. At least not until Hypertech comes out with one of its Dual program chips for the Focus, or even better, a fully programmable one like they have for Chevy trucks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did mine with a volant air and it seem to give some added HP.But the one thing it did was to make the engine run much smoother.I also have a cat backby magnaflow.I think the next mod i want to do will be the chip,Im looking for better throtle responce.some times my car gets slow.
does the chip also make the injecters pump more gas?

·
Registered
398 Posts
actually manually shifting the focus is bad i learned the hard way.
i was manually shifting it a few times and it was real cool i would bring the rpm up in first a second then shift you know power shifting, speed shifting it which ever you wish to call it.
Well my lesson came when i backed out 2 almost 3 torque converter bolts. it happened as i was street racing i heard this clink clink clack clack clack clack fursure i thought i broke second gear. but on taking it in for warrenty sevice they told me different they said and i quote "You need to stop manually shifting your Focus automatic it a Focus with a autotranny not a Ferrari paddle shifters. You backed out the torque converter bolts we will tighten them but the next time your here for the same thing you'll pay for it. Have a nice day. Sir."

[ 10-10-2002, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Team-Black ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll clarify my original logic.
With the new TB, you get quicker butterfly action. The TPS senses the quick action, and tells the trans to downshift. Is this not the case?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts