Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched, but didn't find exactly what i needed to know. just put my tb on and i'm having some horrible idle issues. when you turn the car on it idles high for a few second (2k rpm) and then drops to around 800rpm or so like normal. however if you blip the throttle it will rise and then fall to 2k rpm and just hang there and won't stop unless you continuously blip the throttle again. while driving it does the same rev hanging, but also at 3k rpm as well. this is making street driving very very difficult.

i'm thinking it might be my tps (it's on the right spot according to the directions) and i'm going to try out one of CTZX3's extra ones tomorrow. the idle screw is in the right place as well because it idles fine when it calms down.

i'd like to see what advice anyone has or (hopefully) someone has had this problem before.

Thanks
Nate

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
This may have no bearing on your problem, but the "idle screw" has no control over idle. It simply prevents the throttle plate from closing far enough to get jammed in the TB.

Idle is controlled by the computer. The screw will change idle speed while the car is running, but once you shut it off and restart the computer it will read the new plate position as "closed" and make its adjustments to put the idle back to 650 or whatever it is programmed for.

Edit: I assumed when you said "idle screw" you were referring to the throttle plate stop screw.

[ 11-23-2002, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
i own the FC TB and will tell you to check the wiring and make sure the wires do not stick. Sometimes the throttle will get dumb. Shut the car off and resume.
The cpu WILL learn the program.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
i have had this issue in the past, while playing with the idle screw. It may be set too high, as in the idle. you may need to turn the idle screw back a little.
Because, whats happening is the idle screw has the idle set too high, and it goes down to 800rpm via the computer.

stop by after 12pm and we'll look at it.

Chris

no stalkers please

·
Registered
397 Posts
to me it soudns like a bad idle air control valve, i've gone through 4 of them allready and i've had the same exact symptoms you have described

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
CTZX3 is right. The idle air control valve controls the air from before/after the throttle body(kind-of like a choke). If the idle(throttle stop)is set too high, the IAC will try to adjust itself to make idle lower. This tells the computer that something is wrong and it goes whacky(keeps trying the initial settings, then trys to compensate).

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
when I put in my FCTB a while back, I used to get that. it would just hang at about 1500 rpms or thereabouts. after a few miles driving tho (don't know how many EXACTLY), it was fine. used to hang. doesn't now. everything is coooooool.

btw, when I had to reset my ECU for any reason, it acts up again. no prob. drive a bit and it's fine. maybe it's just me....

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
just do like i did and plug 2 of the holes and it will get rid of the hang and actually have engine braking

·
Registered
409 Posts
Smoe - how long have you had two holes plugged?
I have the same idle problems described here &
have just had the idle air sensor replaced. I
have the idle adj screw backed out past the point
where the arm makes contact when no pedal is applied. Sometimes I have to open the hood and
push the assembly back to lower the idle. I think
it might be a bad return spring, but maybe I'll try your solution.

·
Registered
489 Posts
use a hard "clear" epoxy man, harder than model cement...it will work fine, plus you can file down what you dont need

1 - 13 of 13 Posts