Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FC UDP\'s

Has anyone had any luck with the Focus Central UDP's? Will they work on the 2.0? And are there anythings to worry about when installing them, cause I am looking for a cheap up for some WHP and WTQ, but am not looking to spend the $$ on a header or cams yet.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Re: FC UDP\'s

Replacing the crank pulley on a Duratec is very risky if you're not sure what you're doing. If you mess up the installation, you can say hello to very expensive damage when you try to start it. Plus, underdriving your water pump is only going to hurt your engine in the long run.

There are better places for your cash.

·
Registered
507 Posts

I have it and love it.
install is easy just don't do anything fancy to loosen the nut on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I have it and love it.
install is easy just don't do anything fancy to loosen the nut on the crankshaft.
I am thinking of doing this mod. Do you have a d23? What gains did you get in tq and hp?

·
Banned
2,018 Posts

he has the ST so yes it's a 2.3

the gains on Benny's car were as follows:

First, Dave installed the focus central 65mm Throttle Body while it was still strapped down on the dyno for our first part. FC Blue Annodized looks awesome. We left the Stock Intake in place, and the Dyno results were: fwhp -.1 and fwtq +.1 from baseline. The difference in Throttle Responce was amazing!

Second, Dave and I installed the 3" focus central Cold Air Intake. Ceramic Coated and lookin good, with a HUGE Dual cone filter. Dyno results were: fwhp +7.4 and +6.5 fwtq from baseline.

Due to the late start we only got the first two mods on on Tuesday. We called it a night.

Wednesday the 21st 8:00am PST:

For the Third Mod Dennis and Dave installed the FC 2pc UDP set. Dyno showed: fwhp +13 and fwtq +10.5 over baseline. Gotta love that rotational mass!!

Fourth we installed the FC 4-1 Race Header, and FC Flex Pipe. This was when the "WOW!!" factor started. Dyno prooved: fwhp +21.1 and fwtq +14.4 over stock!!!

The Fifth and final mod was the Borla 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust. Dennis and I had the pleasure of doing this, right after the dyno pull from the header... hahaha! Fun stuff. Opening the outflow of exhaust brought the dyno to +29.4 fwhp and +20.1 fwtq over stock!! This car is now the bomb!
So about 6hp and 4tq

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

We left the Stock Intake in place, and the Dyno results were: fwhp -.1 and fwtq +.1 from baseline.
Uhh... if they seriously think that's a difference, I'm not sure I'd believe the rest of the numbers.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I have it and love it.
At first I took the above advise lightly. I did some searching and found that there can be some serious issues here. But,I did not find enough details explaining what can happen.

Can someone help out here? I have done UDP for other cars and for the cost have shown decent gains. But if this is going to cause major issues, then I will stay clear.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

There is no key holding the crankshaft and pulley in position. Only the torque from the nut keeps the timing of the engine. Since the Duratec is an interference engine, you have to be very careful to keep the crankshaft from moving while you change the pulleys. If you don't, the timing will be off and your pistons and valves will make very good friends.

·
Banned
2,018 Posts

Then stay clear, I don't know the specifics offhand but it involves the fact that this engine is an 'interference engine' and that you could essentially misalign something that would cause a piston to slam into a valve.

Plus the whole underdrive thing is a bit controversial regarding wear and tear and I would think if you value your warranty at all that would be one thing you would stay away from.

edit: pitch beat me and I like his description better

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts

I have it and love it.
At first I took the above advise lightly. I did some searching and found that there can be some serious issues here. But,I did not find enough details explaining what can happen.

Can someone help out here? I have done UDP for other cars and for the cost have shown decent gains. But if this is going to cause major issues, then I will stay clear.
I think desratt's experience was fluke luck and should not be taken as evidence of how everyone should expect their install to turn out. Andy was the first to fall victim to an unlucky install (where has that fool been anyway) and he had done several UDPs before too.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
57 Posts

There is no key holding the crankshaft and pulley in position. Only the torque from the nut keeps the timing of the engine. Since the Duratec is an interference engine, you have to be very careful to keep the crankshaft from moving while you change the pulleys. If you don't, the timing will be off and your pistons and valves will make very good friends.
Sorry, guys, but this is not adding up in my head

How is the crankshaft going to move without a relational move of the cams when the timing chain is present?? I can see how the ignition timing may be off if there is no keyway for the crank pulley, but this would not change the piston to valve relationship. What it could do is cause your ignition timing to be waaay off.

What am I missing here

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts

The gear that drives the timing chain is also not keyed to the crank. It's simply held on by the tension of the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley in place.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
57 Posts

Then stay clear, I don't know the specifics offhand but it involves the fact that this engine is an 'interference engine' and that you could essentially misalign something that would cause a piston to slam into a valve.

Plus the whole underdrive thing is a bit controversial regarding wear and tear and I would think if you value your warranty at all that would be one thing you would stay away from.

I understand the benefits and implications of UDP's.

When Ford developes the pulleys, they must take into consideration the 90 year old grandma that is going to let her car idle for 30 minutes, with the A/C on, while she gets her grocery bags into the house. So there is some compromise in the production design of the pulleys.

IF replacement UDP's are designed correctly, benefits can be had with no ill affects. I, being in Cali, are looking for ways to increase HP and TQ AND pass smog inspection tests. Also, reducing the speed of the accessories, should prolong their life..in theory anyway

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

The gear that drives the timing chain is also not keyed to the crank. It's simply held on by the tension of the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley in place.
Exactly. Replacing the crankshaft pulley also means that you're removing the only thing holding the timing sprocket onto the crank. Without that nut, nothing is preserving the valve timing.

·
Registered
57 Posts

>8^)
ER
WHAT WAS FORD THINKING???

This does not sound like a good design
. Under great crankshaft force, say like a hit of nitrous, is there a chance that the crankshaft snout can move/slip inside of the timing gear and cause piston to valve clearance issues??

Yikes! I am in disbelief over this bit of Ford Engineering

Maybe I dont want to do this after all...

·
Banned
2,018 Posts

I understand the benefits and implications of UDP's.

When Ford developes the pulleys, they must take into consideration the 90 year old grandma that is going to let her car idle for 30 minutes, with the A/C on, while she gets her grocery bags into the house. So there is some compromise in the production design of the pulleys.

IF replacement UDP's are designed correctly, benefits can be had with no ill affects. I, being in Cali, are looking for ways to increase HP and TQ AND pass smog inspection tests. Also, reducing the speed of the accessories, should prolong their life..in theory anyway
Totally fine... btw you know you don't have to smog for 6 years after the purchase right?

I live in CA as well and have no cats at the moment.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I did not know that! Yippie! This is the first 'newer' car I have owned in a long time.

My other cars are a 92 Explorer with 201k miles and running strong, an 88 Saleen Mustang (convertible
) and a 95 F350 CrewCab 4x4

1 - 20 of 30 Posts