Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question for all of you. Here we go... I had my focus dynoed the other day and I pulled 130.7 whp and 129.0 wtq w/ the following performance mods:
-Crane 0012 street/strip cams
-esslinger cam gears set at: int -5, ext -4
-focus central 65mm trottle body
-focus central 4-2-1 race header
-bosal flex pipe
-custom cat-back w/ high flow cat
-focus central under drive pullies
-70 MAFS w/heat shield
-screamin demon coil w/live wires
-diablo chip w/basic burn
My focus is a 5 speed.
The numbers are SAE corrected whp/wtq. It was 138.4 whp and 136.6 wtq uncorrected.

The thing is that Steeda(Techguy) posted a dyno where they made 146.3 whp and 141 wtq w/ these mods:
-Steeda short ram
-65mm tb
-crane 0012 cams
-cam gears
-4-2-1 race header
-steeda cat-back
-udps
-chip

How did they get those numbers. Is there any advice that you could give me on reaching those numbers w/ my setup. I have everything that they had on their focus and a little more. The only cam gear adj. combination that I didn't try was to advance the intake with the exhaust retarded (I ran out of time). I don't know how much more power I could gain with the adjustments though. I already got 12 whp and 6 wtq out of the adjs. Also, do you think that the chip is holding me back a little with the stock burn? I plan on going back to the dyno, I just need some info to go back with. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please help. Thanks

Roger

[ 02-16-2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Jet powered go-cart ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
make the trip up 2 dillsburg, pa and c the mcnews boys. they've pulled 142whp/148tq out of a car will almost identical spex 2 urs.

-Ult

·
Registered
222 Posts
take it to someone who knows how to tune the focus. you should be seeing #'s around 140 and 140.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may try that eventually, but that is a pretty long haul to PA. If, when I go back to the dyno, the advancing the int cam with the exh retarded doesn't help, I guess I'll be making the trip. Anyone else with any ideas or suggestions.

Roger

[ 02-16-2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Jet powered go-cart ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
717 432 9503

www.mcnewsautomotive.com

ask 4 ray or bobby

they go 2 duncan's bout 15min up the road, its a bout 100/hr, but their REALLY REALLY liberal on that. good people. if u wanna go soon, u might wanna go w/them when they put their ford racing project car back up 'on the hook' 4 their latest tweax. if not u can get ray 2 go w/u 2 help u. u should also get a hold of modifyyourfocus (name's mike), he's the cat i was talkin bout.

-Ult

[ 02-16-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
379 Posts
you may have to get the chip reburned depending on when you first installed it.. After other mods are installed, the chip may or maynot allready take advantage over the following mods.

·
Registered
379 Posts
also I'd play a lil more with the adjustment of the cam gears.. not all engines are the same on adjusts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Two things are killing your power. One if your custom exhaust is crushed bent and not manderl bent your losing major ponies there and the other problem lies with you having a cat..get rid of the cat and get a nice Bosal or = exhaust and you will surpass the numbers of that steeda car for sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The main reason that I have the high flow cat is because,with out it,the car is way too loud. It is very loud now as it is. I have been thinking about another cat-back though. I guess we will see.

[ 02-17-2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Jet powered go-cart ]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also...When I first put my race header and flex pipe on, I thought I had an exhaust leak because of the rasping sound I got when I was accelerating hard. I figured out, while on the dyno, that it was mad resonation in my exhaust. Could this mean that my cat or cat-back is not flowing properly? It is a really annoying sound because the resonation is soooo loud. My buddy in his VR6 trips out every time he follows me somewhere because it is sooo loud. He says I shouldn't change it because it sounds great. I just prefer power over sound. Can you say "RICE"? Oh yeah, My chip was the second mod that I put on my car other than lowering springs. I wish I would have waited until last to get the chip. At least I can get it reburned.

Roger

[ 02-17-2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Jet powered go-cart ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts