Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top Gear tomorrow night is driving the ferrari F60. Is this a new Ferrari or is it just another name for the Enzo? I had thought they were the same car, but I can't seem to find a definate answer anywhere.

Jason

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
I believe its the limited release open track car offered @1.4mm to selected clients.

A higher performence Enzo
No - that's the FXX

TopGear=Stupid - well at least that bafoon Jeremy Clarkson is stupid and so they call the Enzo the F60 out of habit because that's what the motoring journalists were calling it over two years ago prior to the car's release. Once the "Enzo" was announced, most of the automotive press started calling it by it's real name except for TopGear which still sneaks in a reference to the "F60" every now and then.

They bring out a selection of other supercars to sort of compare the Enzo with, though they don't run numbers on all the cars. There's a batch of 90's era supercars like the F40, Jag XJ220 and the McLaren F1 featured. Then they bring in a Pagani Zonda S and a Carrera GT to pose with the Enzo. The episode, besides the glaring mistake with the name, is wonderful to watch albeit a little disappointing because they only really push the Enzo hard on the track.

The Enzo they borrow belongs to Pink Floyd drummer, Nick Mason. The commentary surrounding how they got their hands on the car is quite humorous.

As with all the episodes being re-canned for the USA, it is somewhat old. It originally aired in the UK back in Oct 2004 and was available online shortly afterwards.

>8^)
ER

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
BTW: This was how one person on another forum put his review of the episode into words, and I tend to agree with what he said completely:

Hi folks
I was really disappointed with the TopGear feature. I don't know how they could get all that machinery together and end up with such a poor programme. The F40 is pretty irrelevant in that company, yet it dominated the discussion. The new F430 is said to be quicker than the F40 and even a 360CS would have made for a better old v. new comparison with the F40. The oppertunity was there to decide whether the Enzo and Carrera are any advance on the Mac, but all that happened was JC confirming he was no fan of the F1. This we knew from previous tests where he has always been very negative about the Mac. I suspect this stems from his frustrations with McLaren at the launch of the F1, when Autocar and CAR magazine were given preferential treatment. All the advantages JC found with the F40 over the Enzo are also to be found with the F1. Plus it has no turbo lag and comes with carpets and doorhandles amongst other comforts. I think for this week only the Stig should have been allowed to speak....
For me, Enzo/Carrera v. F1 is technology v. ingenuity. I know which I prefer....
Also,
I can't be bothered to check, but JC claims the F40 has the fastest 0-60 time. He quoted 3.2 seconds, but I think he was looking in the F1 column when he found that figure....
JC wondered if the Enzo lap-time would ever be challenged and suggested the Veyron could threaten it! Seems unlikely....
The Carrera lap-time was more impressive, considering how much less extreme it is compared to the Enzo. I assume the F1 has less grip than the Enzo, but its lightness would make up for that. If the Porsche can get within 1 sec of the Enzo I think the Mac would be at least as fast, academic as it is. I mean, if you really wanted to put them to the test you could enter them in a 24 hour race or something like that....
Comparisons by Martin Brundle or Tiff Needell are much more meaningfull than those by JC. They tend to test the cars limits where he merely tests his own driving limits. He has his moments as a presenter though, so lets not be too hard on him....
My response that followed:

Great sentiment - lots of good points in there. I assume the owners must have placed some limitations on what they could do with their cars, as it really was a poor showing. You're correct on the 0-60 time on the F40 - I recall it being a 3.8secs on it's best day whereas the F1 was the car to pull of the 3.2sec time. Also, as you say, JC never has a nice thing to say about the F1 which really dillutes my opinion on most of the other things he has to say.

It also drove me mad how JC kept referring to the Enzo as the F60. It's not an F60, Ferrari has never called it an F60, there's no such thing as an F60.

Oh well - at least their cinematography is good.
So that I don't have to pull a Naz again, here's a link to the episode as it aired in the UK last year:

Right-click, Save Target As...

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I would never take anything that happens on Top Gear too seriously. Their priority is entertainment, not to cross the T's and dot the I's in the review of a car. Does anyone honestly think that tossing the car around an airfield is a meaningful way of testing a car? Of course not. Take the show for what it is, something fun and entertaining to watch compared to the boring run of the mill automotive shows we get here in North America. To get upset by his reviews? Bah, not worth the energy.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
See though - that's the problem... They have two responsiblities. I will agree the first one is entertainment and they provide a lot of it. Even I get a laugh out of a lot of things that spew out of that big bafoon's mouth. Their second responsibility though - and the one that I think they sometimes neglect rather heavily is to educate. If you aren't going to take the time to figure out the right answer, then don't give an answer at all.

Seriously, calling the Enzo the F60 is appalling in my book for an automotive show hosted by someone who's been in the business as long as Clarkson. Once this airs there will be a whole gaggle of idiots who think that calling the Enzo an F60 is acceptable because they heard it on Top Gear. These idiots fall into the same group of 'automotive enthusiasts' who learned everything they know from the Fast and the Furious movies. They're the same kind of idiots who line up their EVO next to an M3 at the traffic light and then ask the passenger if that car is AWD as they wonder whether they are about to win or lose. I could go on...

My frustration stems from how much misinformation is already out there on cars like this. To have what most people would consider a reliable source for automotive info spewing something as simple as the name of the car they are testing incorrectly is truly unnacceptable with me. Then they go on to quote incorrect performance numbers on the Ferrari F40 to bolster their conclusion that it was really the best of the bunch - that's just crap.

BTW: The show is on tonight - don't miss it.

>8^)
ER

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Being recorded now as I type this.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Being recorded now as I type this.
Just caught it. Looks very nice. Personally i still like the F50. I love the look of that car. But the new one looks very nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts