Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be involved in converting my returnlees fuel system into a return system? would it be worth it as far as cost? and has anybody done it?

thanks

thegreat1

·
Registered
871 Posts
i have toyed with the idea.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
what types of benefits would be yielded?

·
Registered
659 Posts
what would you want it for you got some kind of power adder or what

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dunno i thought since we had a returnless system that was one of the reasons our car was more complex to turbo. if im wrong tell me cause im still learning bout this focus of mine. i was thinking with a return style i could put bigger injectors and when boost was added more fuel would be fed in turn fixing or minimizing the deto. write/wrong? thanks

thegreat1

·
Educating Mazda Owners One Thread at a Time
4,723 Posts
i dunno i thought since we had a returnless system that was one of the reasons our car was more complex to turbo. if im wrong tell me cause im still learning bout this focus of mine. i was thinking with a return style i could put bigger injectors and when boost was added more fuel would be fed in turn fixing or minimizing the deto. write/wrong? thanks

thegreat1
I think you're on the right track. I've got a friend who's thinkin of doing this as well. I think I remember reading about a 500hp focus that had a return-style fuel system conversion, but don't remember where.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah hes up in team rigs hes got 522 hp and 385 lb/ft with the return style. his title is MY CLEAN SVT the car is freakin tight and has good numbers. wich is what im going for
at x-mas time i'll have around 15k to spend with my mom paying for all the install and tuning so not really a prob as far as money goes for all the stuff i need .so i thought this might be a good idea. is it? thanks

thegreat1

·
Registered
659 Posts
yes that is correct if you want to go turbo, that is the better way to go. but just doing a return line is not going to give you more power. When you get the turbo then spend the money and do a return line if you want.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no i dont pla on converting until i get a turbo i just want to know what i need in order to do this and maybe a how to or just basic instructions

·
Registered
143 Posts
please excuse my ignorance on this one but could someone please explain what this return fuel concept is. I have to say that I am more the driver than technition but I would like to know. plus I am thinking about going FI within the forseeable future. thx

·
Registered
518 Posts
yeah hes up in team rigs hes got 522 hp and 385 lb/ft with the return style. his title is MY CLEAN FOCUS the car is freakin tight and has good numbers. wich is what im going for
at x-mas time i'll have around 15k to spend with my mom paying for all the install and tuning so not really a prob as far as money goes for all the stuff i need .so i thought this might be a good idea. is it? thanks

thegreat1
Must be nice!
Your Mom doesn't want to adopt a guy in his 30's by any chance?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the only reason she is paying is cause i'm goin to the navy and she thought it would be a good present. since in the long run i would really be saving her money by not going to college

·
Registered
122 Posts
I havent done a returne on my on vehicle but I have done
some research, and I found that the 2000 ford countor with
a 2.0 is actualy the same motor as the focus but it has variable cam timing and it has a return fuel system on
the same intake as we have. I dont now what is all invovled
but for a cheap way of doing it you might want to check
out that set up and go from there

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
yeah hes up in team rigs hes got 522 hp and 385 lb/ft with the return style. his title is MY CLEAN FOCUS the car is freakin tight and has good numbers. wich is what im going for

thegreat1
Okay, I searched and couldnt find that post. Would like to find it though

·
Registered
871 Posts
the sn 95 mustangs have a return. a return fuel system is one that could conseivably pump gas without the car running. the gas goes from the tank to the fuel rail and then there is a fuel pressure regulator (fpr) that lets the excess pressure off into a line running back to the tank. ours just dead ends if i am not mistaken.

·
Educating Mazda Owners One Thread at a Time
4,723 Posts
correct. With a return style system, you can pretty much just throw as much fuel at the engine as you want, and any excess will be returned to the tank, so in effect it is easier to get enough fuel to the engine without having to worry about having too much since the excess runs back to the tank.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

thegreat1
Okay, I searched and couldnt find that post. Would like to find it though

my bad man i didnt even realize i put focus i meant MY CLEAN SVT its on the second page of team rigs. sorry about that now you should find it

·
Registered
126 Posts
Let me see if I can help. You need:
1. -8 or -6 supply and -6 return lines and all your AN fittings

2. tank adapted to accept a return line

3. EFI fuel pressure regulator (aftermarket firewall mounted)

4. your fuel rail with adapter for an aftermarket line on its supply side,and some sort of adapter at theplugged end to go to the aftermarket fuel pressure regulator (EFI) that you will need. A Steeda rail or some other custom aluminum rail would be best with AN fittings at either end.

5. a big pump adapted to your tank, or an external one. Custom fuel tank with sump of some sort with supply fitting in sump and return in top with an external pump would be trick. Supply the power to the pump with its own relay switched on with the factory relay. <font color="blue"> </font> that way you keep the inertia switch for accidents.

Now run all of your lines:

-8 or -6 to inlet side of rail, -6 out of rail to regulator, then -6 from reglator back to tank.

It is not difficult, though this is a simplified description. It does cost money though. I have well over $1000 in my Mustang's system (which can support over 100hp) and it was already a return style system

·
Registered
871 Posts
was that 1000 spent on an fittings? that [censored] is so expen$ive!

·
Registered
126 Posts
On my Mustang, about $500 in lines and fittings, $130 for regulator, $250 for pump, made pick-up in tank myself, $100 for two filters ($50 each, one in front of the pump, and one after. Forgot to put those in my first list. sorry
), and $200 for fuel rails. So...a little over $1000 was a good estimate, and if you used braided line like I did, a system for the focus would cost the same or more because it wasn't originally equipped with a return system. To save money you could combine hard lines with the braided or blue pushlock. Actually if the rules haven't changed, pushlock hose is legal for the whole car like braided in the NHRA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts