Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford brought a Ford GT at our SVTOA On Track this past weekend. I decided to make my donation and get a few laps with one of the Cobra engineers.

HOLY CRIPES THIS CAR IS FAST!
Getting it to 120+ mph (or past 200 km/h) is nothing for this thing...and it was only being driven "gently". It's very smooth around the corners, and it's very quiet in the ****pit. The only thing about it is getting used to the door opening with a helmet on. The beauty is that the car just kept going, lap after lap, for the entire weekend.

I think I understand now why people want supercrs
Now I just wish I had the $200K CDN for one.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
As more people get to ride in Ford GTs I start to wonder..

"When is it my turn? Well I have a turn?"

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
i have had fun with that car...was out this year at svtoa event at summit point as well as last year at summit were i instructed for jeff...last year i played tag with ed league from svt who was driving it..he would out drag me then i would catch him in the corners...in the rain he spun it twice

·
Registered
887 Posts
$200k CDN for one?

Local dealer sold the one they paid $150k for to an Australian for $300k US. 100 percent markup.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have had fun with that car...was out this year at svtoa event at summit point as well as last year at summit were i instructed for jeff...last year i played tag with ed league from svt who was driving it..he would out drag me then i would catch him in the corners...in the rain he spun it twice
You folks were lucky...we didn't get it up here last year.

Alex was driving mine (for the life of me I can't recall h is last name). This time, it didn't spin. It did let some coolant go, but continued on throughout the day.

Actually, at the end of the whole thing, Jonathon Blevin's friend has his Corvette. That, plus Jeff Lacina's Mustang GT and the GT were playing for all the corner workers.

I should have some pics posted of our On Track soon. I'm just doing the obligatory plate editing and copyrighting stuff.

$40 for a thrill while benefiting Big Brothers Big Sisters

·
Registered
184 Posts
I put up the $40 for a charity ride at the Gingerman SVTOA days on July 23-24, and am extremely glad I did.
What a ride!
It accelerated, decelerated, and cornered harder than anything I had ever been in.
That is until Sunday when my instructor gave me a ride in is 2000 Cobra R.
We passed the GT, and he's got film to prove it.

The Cobra might be faster around a track, but the GT is much nicer to ride in.
If I had the spare cash and was looking to buy a supercar, the GT would be very near the top of a very short list.

Unfortunately, the Cobra kinda overshadowed the GT ride, but it was still a great ride and worth the $40 donation.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
I need to score a ride in one. I've ridden in a 1989 Lamborghini Countach 25th anniversary edition (Really freaking quick), Driven a 1997 Viper RT/10 (even quicker). I've ridden in and driven a '96 Ferrari F50 and it's a close second to the fastest thing I've ever ridden in. I didn't flog it, the owner did.

The fastest ride I've gotten was in a 2000 Lingenfelter Corvette 500 TT with a 120 shot of nitrous owned by a guy out here. Balls to the wall accelleration, brakes that made me feel like I was going to become dismembered, and handling that was, to the best of my knowledge, the best I'd seen, despite a pretty rough ride compared to the other "supercars" I'd been in.

I've been in some very impressive rides. I'm wondering how the

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
fastest i have ever been in a street car was my uncles old v12 jag, cruising at 168...(sebring, 12years old)

nicest fast car ridden in, uncles ferrari tessarossa (i blew the clutch in it when i was 8 and he was teaching me)
RIPUncleCraig

fastest car ridden in, stage 3 (with mods) SRT-4...got more giggles from being in such an ugly car going so fast

but a GT would be my dream, something like history that i would tell my kids...well i got enough years ahead of me to jump on it

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I PASSED the GT!

Wow. I didn't think that was possible.
You'd probably think it was REALLY impossible for a Focus to pass one then.

I did.

I was at the same event as GapBoy, and I passed him in the second session. I head out, and after a couple laps I see the GT ahead of me. Wow, cool, I'm on track with a GT.

After a few more laps, I realize I'm catching him. I reeled him in, and got right behind him. He didn't signal me for the pass down the back straight. I don't know if he didn't realize I was behind him, or if it was the typical "No Focus is faster than me" mentality of these "supercar" guys.

It was pretty cool seeing the heat pour out of the back of this thing on the straight though.

Anyway, so I catch up to him again through the esses, and I'm on his butt heading onto the front straight by the pits. Still no signal. Now I'm pissed.

So I ride his ass around the next twisty bit, and almost hit him because he was slowing more than I was expecting. Finally gave me the pass on the next back straight.

I hope somebody got it on film.

With the intercooler installed now, the Focus is a monster on track. Much faster than it was without the intercooler.

This was on a dry track BTW.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Re: I PASSED the GT!

Yeah, sorry.
I'm just pretty stoked with the way the car is working out.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: I PASSED the GT!

Wow. I didn't think that was possible.
You'd probably think it was REALLY impossible for a Focus to pass one then.

I did.

I was at the same event as GapBoy, and I passed him in the second session. I head out, and after a couple laps I see the GT ahead of me. Wow, cool, I'm on track with a GT.

After a few more laps, I realize I'm catching him. I reeled him in, and got right behind him. He didn't signal me for the pass down the back straight. I don't know if he didn't realize I was behind him, or if it was the typical "No Focus is faster than me" mentality of these "supercar" guys.

It was pretty cool seeing the heat pour out of the back of this thing on the straight though.

Anyway, so I catch up to him again through the esses, and I'm on his butt heading onto the front straight by the pits. Still no signal. Now I'm pissed.

So I ride his ass around the next twisty bit, and almost hit him because he was slowing more than I was expecting. Finally gave me the pass on the next back straight.

I hope somebody got it on film.

With the intercooler installed now, the Focus is a monster on track. Much faster than it was without the intercooler.

This was on a dry track BTW.
Glad you had a great time
Thanks for making the grandios trek up from your neck of the woods.

Anyhow...you asked for proof...

The GT was to be driven about 7/10ths. If the drivers were allowed to go full tilt, the Focus could be eating chunks of Goodyears from the GT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts