Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several messages regarding the "grinding down" of the little debris bump in the front of the air intake. This was being done to help improve air flow into our cars. My question is what if anything does one put back over the area after your finished grinding down the plastic hump? Seems to me that if nothing is put there then the a lot of the increased air flow would simply go through the plastic where the hump was previously. Any advice??

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
i would recommend keeping the hump there. that top cover forces air thru the radiator, during hot days it helps keep your car cool.

the bump itself can generate pressure behind it (i think) and if your intake is right behind it it may benefit.

i wouldn't bother removing it. for the 0.05 hp i would rather just not cut my car.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Originally posted by demonfire:
i would recommend keeping the hump there. that top cover forces air thru the radiator, during hot days it helps keep your car cool.

the bump itself can generate pressure behind it (i think) and if your intake is right behind it it may benefit.

i wouldn't bother removing it. for the 0.05 hp i would rather just not cut my car.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">sorry but you have that backwards. it creats pressure infront and negpressure(vacuum)behind it. it does not force air through the radiator. and if it did, that little amount would not realy make a difference. on my car i cut it off completly with a hacksaw. it now matches the other side. i used electricle tape on both sides to cover the hole that was left. my intake does not even utlize that part. i have a steeda mas air intake. i put the tube that normaly goes there back in to help coot the air going to the filter. on an 80degree day sitting in the sun not moving my intake air temp was 165degrees

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cut mine out-put in molded hard plastic-hot glued on underside.Right next to that(left side)I cut out a large U-shape and worked a black funnel(squashed oval)to send air from right upper grill to stock intube.Far left side-2) 3"cuts 4"apart to make a flap that diverts air up over engine to help keep cooler.Trimmed w/black vaccuum hose for a clean look,and radiator still gets plenty of air,does not run any hotter.And we did have a killer summer too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts