Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my stock headlamps replaced under warranty on friday. It was an ordeal, my dealership sucks. I noticed last night that one of the new lights has some sort of oily film on the inside. Is there a way I can clean this without the dealer replacing it again? Are the units sealed, or can the plastic be separated?

·
Registered
837 Posts
oven my friend, bake them suckers. although, i dont know the appropriate heating temp and for how long you should keep them inside the oven. im sure someone will tell you. but you do have to remove them from your car and pop them in the oven to get the covers off.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Stay away from the oven if you dont know the proper temps. Just use a hair dryer on high or a heat gun and a screwdriver to pry them open along the adhesive seam. Just did this with my ebay headlights and its much easier if you heat up from one corner, get it started there, and just pull that corner, slowly heating both sides, to the other corner, that way its not readhearing as your prying it apart. A helping hand to use the hairdryer will make this go much faster. Just my .2

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice, but i didnt want to chance it with brand new headlamps......but i did come up with an interesting solution.

I removed the units, then the bulbs, then the little cap piece that covers the bulb (luckily of my 3 torx bits, i had the right one). the resulting hole was about an inch and a half. I got a swiffer duster, pulled off the swiffer pad, and replaced it with a rolled up rag held on with a rubber band. a little windex on the rag, and i swabbed out the inside of the light. clean as a wistle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts