Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Well, today I finally got time to work on a project that has been going on almost since I took delivery of my car...My intake...
With the exception of some minor details, it is complete...It has been installed, and somewhat tested...Unfortunately it was pouring rain today, and any attempt to rapidly increase forward progress resulted in a rapid decrease of forward progress as it spun like crazy...I am hoping it will dry out a bit tomorrow so I can test it further...Initial impressions are good, though...It runs fine, still idles the same, etc...I was wary of removing the plastic MAF housing, but apparently I did things correctly...
One good thing about the near monsoon rain is that it basically proved that an enclosure is not required...The filter was barely damp after some 20+ miles of driving...Stage 2 will, however, include an enclosure as part of a plan to increase airflow to the engine...But thats another story...

...The intake should hopefully prove to compliment my exhaust quite nicely in the coming days...The only problem is I cant enjoy the sound of the intake sucking in air when I step on the gas because it isnt audible over the exhaust...However, at idle, the filter sounds like a vacuum cleaner near the front of the car...

Sorry to ramble so much...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pics yet...I still have some cosmetic work to do to make it look presentable, but its on and functioning...

As for more tests...Yep...Sounds nice, with a chirp on upshifts (not sure why) ...It pulls fairly hard, too...And while its idling you can hear it sucking some serious air if you stand near the front of the car...Mileage is in the same basic range as before the intake, so apparently the calibrations arent out of whack...

No hard numbers, though...I havent found a local dyno yet, but Im curious as to what my car is putting down...

Hopefully next weekend I can get the time to take it all back apart and make it look pretty so I can take some pictures with pride...

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I *think* there's a dyno out in cortland. Not entirely sure, btu the place claims to be the one stop for all tuning needs

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Its kinda-sorta similar to yours, EGZ, but not quite...It doesnt move the filter into the factory shield thing...It just puts it down behind the radiator support...Close to where it was when I just had the filter clamped to the factory MAF...

...My high-flow exhaust is just basically a glasspack slapped on behind the second cat, running out through a turn-down under the car...Although, it will be getting a real tailpipe soon enough...Unfortunately its much quieter than I had hoped, but does manage to attract lots of attention...Both good and bad...

...Although I cant quite place the exact location at this hour, Cortland isnt too far of a trip, if I remember correctly...Do you think work would give me a day off to get my car dynoed??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts