Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! This is without a doubt the biggest increase to power and torque I've made yet with any single mod (I have: Iceman with second intake; ITG Pro air filter; LFQ1 Superchip; FS ceramic coated cat-back).

The throttle response is better, and the performance increase goes beyond "noticeable". It's "hit me over the head and leave me unconscious in the gutter" obvious! It's also quite a bit louder than stock, so those of you who care about having a quiet exhuaust will probably not be interested. However, I love the sounds it makes! With the reasonably quiet FS cat-back, it sounds fantastic!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Is the FS cat-back you have the standard one or the "quiet" option that costs $40 extra? I've been planning on getting the quiet one and either the RT or Bosal high flow cat along with a bigger flex pipe but I am somewhat concerned about the sound. Is it ****-rocket kind of loud, where people can hear it coming from blocks away, or just moderately loud at most speeds? Congratulations on your gains.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the "normal" FS cat-back. If you want OEM sound, then you definitely want the "Quiet" option. My FS cat-back is not loud compared to most, but it's definitely louder than stock, even at highway cruise.

It's hard for me to say how loud my exhuast is now from well outside the car, since I'm always driving it! I can't imagine it's as obnoxious as many of the ones I hear (usually on Hondas).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Glad to hear you like it Matt, but the noise level, obvioulsy you can live with it. Or you can always get a bigger resonator from FS, to make you exhaust a "quiet" one

Well, my question is how is the noise through the RPM range, and on the highway at 3000rpm and 75mph, does it bother you!??
thanks in advance, and congrats on freeing up your exhaust, and keeping the environment safe!!!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by sherych:
Glad to hear you like it Matt, but the noise level, obvioulsy you can live with it. Or you can always get a bigger resonator from FS, to make you exhaust a "quiet" one

Well, my question is how is the noise through the RPM range, and on the highway at 3000rpm and 75mph, does it bother you!??
thanks in advance, and congrats on freeing up your exhaust, and keeping the environment safe!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's louder pretty much everywhere in the RPM range. It's not so bad that it drowns out my stereo, or that I think I'm going to lose my hearing, or anything like that. While cruising on the expressway at about 75 mph, it's noticeable, but not deafening. I guess it all depends on how much noise you're willing to put up with. Also, I'm not sure that the "quiet" kit from FS would help all that much. It would definitely make the FS cat-back quieter, but I'm noticing more exhaust noise coming from up front, where the cat actually is. In other words, I'm sure the larger resonator would eliminate (or nearly so) the sound attributed to the cat-back, but I think you'd still get the increased sound of the cat. This combination would probably be more bearable to a lot of people.

And, yes, I also feel that I have a personal responsibility to keep my car running as clean as possible. Even if the race headers weren't so loud (although I've never heard them personally), I still would have gone with the RT cat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by MattHarrell:

And, yes, I also feel that I have a personal responsibility to keep my car running as clean as possible. Even if the race headers weren't so loud (although I've never heard them personally), I still would have gone with the RT cat.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good man. Thanks for the extra details in your responses, too. I'm going to go with the FS quiet cat-back and get a high flow cat eventually, though I'm going to wait to see what Bosal creates.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Originally posted by proxemac:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MattHarrell:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good man. Thanks for the extra details in your responses, too. I'm going to go with the FS quiet cat-back and get a high flow cat eventually, though I'm going to wait to see what Bosal creates.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, and don't forget that McNews is going to market and SVT header, with an EGR bung retro-fitted. Also they would probably sell a Random Tech cat, that would go underneath, to replace the SVT cat.
That would be a good system
Long tube SVT header + SVT cat or Random Tech a la SVT cat + flex (not sure if SVT one is different).
that would give nice gains, and still run clean.
Also probably would not be loud.
So it's great that now people who car about running a cat really have options.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Originally posted by sherych:

Also probably would not be loud.
So it's great that now people who car about running a cat really have options.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">quieter = good
cleaner = good

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the FocusSport quiet system would be more effective than I implied in my previous post, too. I have been listening more carefully, and I don't think I'm hearing the noise so much from the front of the car where the cat is, but from the tail pipe. I think that, under certain conditions, it's louder up front, but not usually. The FS quiet system would be a good choice with the RT, I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts