Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local Mazda dealer FINALLY got their first RX-8 in so I stopped by at lunch to check it out. It was Velocity Red with cloth interior.

I got a dumber then usually sales gal that was less then useless and there was no way I was taking a test drive with her. So, I just checked out the interior and one of the most important (to me) areas...driver position.

Being 6'3" with fairly long legs I'm pretty picky about the way the ****pit accomodates me. It didn't pass my test. It was too claustrophobic for my tastes. Seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way up and I still felt like I was squished into it. The ingress/egress also made me think I'd be cracking my head against the door frame on a regular basis.

So, the final chapter in a story that started over a year ago when I was almost certain I'd be driving an RX-8 by now has ended. I will probably go back to the dealer later to get a test drive but I have scratched this one off my list.

·
Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
Wow! Well go to the doctor and talk to them about taking a couple of inches off.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Just go drive it Ron! I drove one, a black one, and it will be my next car! Prolly by the end of summer '04!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Mazda RX-8=axis of excellence.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm 6ft 4" and I agree with the "claustrophobic" feeling, I also felt that my legs were too close to the steering wheel for my tastes.

I still can't get over the 4dr part either, IMHO sports cars can't have 4drs.

Looks like your back to the EVO right?!?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have seen a couple. One up close in a parking lot, and another on the highway. They look very good in person. I definetly want to go to the dealer and check out the interior and engine.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
They botched the design on this one, BIG TIME. It looks like raw ass. There is so much I hate about this car, I don't know where to begin.

What really hurts, is that if you look at the back of the car, from the godawful suicide doors back, it looks just like the RX-7. All pretty and s**t.

Sigh.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
The local dealerships by me began getting their RX-8 shipments in recently but I have yet to see one on the street as of yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw one in person back in May at a Mazda Rev-It-Up event, and I thought it looks great. I'm nowhere near as tall as a couple of you guys, so I felt real comfortable in it. Even the back seat was roomy for a sports car. Much better in the back than a Camaro or Mustang, in my opinion, and the trunk was decent, too. I can't wait to test drive one!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I gave my impressions of it in my Mazda Rev It Up review. Needless to say the only impressive thing, was the rear seat room and the unique design, but in my opinion not correctly executed.

So Ron, does this mean the EVO get's another look?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
yea they have been around my area a few weeks now and i have seen atleast 4 on the road and 2 in a parking lot. they are definately eye catchers. i really like how they look from the side and front...but the rear didnt really do anything for me. also, the one time it sounded like the guy gunned it...but he really didnt take off all that fast. i thought he would have been out but he just kinda "went". i think i'd still take a 350Z over this

·
Registered
872 Posts
let's all just pray we get a lighter 2-door 2-seater redux in RX-7 form and that they work out the power issues (and give us turbo please kk thanks
)

·
Registered
143 Posts
mazdaspeed has their version debuting shortly, now that is a beautiful rx8

1 - 15 of 15 Posts