Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sir Buffs A LOT
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally painted or should I say repainted my mirrors over the past couple of days. Attempted this a week or so ago, but made the fatal mistake of trying to do it when it was very hot & humid, came out like crap. Been really nice here in CT the past couple of days, so I thought I would give the old college try again. They came out pretty damn good if I don't say so myself. Used Krylon for primer, & DupliColor for the silver & clear. Two coats of each w/ wet sanding in between each. Could not find any silver in the correct code for my Focus, so I picked out what I thought would be pretty close. Ended up chosing DupliColor Truck/Van/SUV #T191 Ultra Silver for '89-'96 Chevy/GM. It is a darn near perfect match. Now have to wait a couple of days to buff them out & bring out the shine. Will post some pics later on this week when I get my ST200's on, kill 2 birds with one stone. Now maybe its time to tackle the door handles & rub strips!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Could you tell me how you painted them exactly? Did you use a spray gun or spray cans. Im looking to do a plastic rear wing _ I have 2003 svtf 'TS CD silver' and want to do what you did instead of taking it to shop for $400+. I wrote down the product and paint code you used, let me know the procedure maybe? Im first time painter

[email protected]

thanks

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I just painted my mirrors... I used real auto paint ($22 for 1/2 pint). Add some adhesion promotor $10. and various sandpaper, clear and a Preval sprayer... total comes out to about $50. Which is what I paid.

The Result is great.... well I suppose It should be considering I paid more for the paint than I did for my m3 mirrors minus the shipping of course.

·
Sir Buffs A LOT
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the good old "rattle" can. Being that the backs of the mirrors are small, it was pretty easy using the cans. Don't know about doing a spoiler with a can, I would use a spray gun if available. Don't know if your spoiler is already primed for paint, or got it used in a different color & are repainting it CD Silver. I would try & find the correct paint, (TS code), I was forced into using the other paint due to not finding the "TS" paint in my area. I am pretty much a "rookie" also at painting. The mirrors were my first try at it. There is posting in the "Interior Modifications" under "Common Interior Mods" that goes into complete detail on painting. I used that as my reference. Basically washed & cleaned the parts well with some Dawn dish soap. Roughed up the area with some 600 grit sandpaper. Applied a coat of plastic adhesion promoter. After drying started with the primer. Put on a light coat, waited a few minutes, then applied a second, heavier coat. Let dry for about 2-3 hours. Wet sanded the pieces down with 2000 grit paper. Dried parts off, ran a tack rag over them, then used a lint free towel after that. Then applied the color,(same routine as the primer). Again let dry 2-3 hours, repeated the sanding, drying, tack, towel process and put the clear on. Again same process as the primer & color. Going to buff them out tomorrow. Again check out the thread I mentioned earlier, it is very informative & useful. Hope this helps.

·
Resident Wheel-Whore
10,594 Posts
PICTURES!

·
Sir Buffs A LOT
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PICTURES!
I will post some later this week. Waiting to buff them out, give the car a nice bath & most of all, my ST200's should be here & mounted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have a buddy who paints cars and i get mine back tomorrow night. ill post some of my pics tomorrow. it is with the color code to match though the silver metalic frost.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
The problem with rattle can painting the mirror covers is that it will not hold up with the elements coming at it at 60+mph. I did mine about a month ago and there are already small chips in the paint that will only get worse over time. They have to be done right, using a lot of flex agent in the paint, or you can chance covering them with 8 coats of paint/clear, but I still don't think it is going to last long term.

If you are dead set on the rattle can method and are looking for a TS (CD Silver/Silver Frost) match, you can pick up Plasti-kote's FM 8140. The metallic colors require a separate clear coar and their's is CLEAR 629. I got them from PepBoys, and those color codes were a match to Ford's TS in the reference guide they had there. From a color standpoint, it is a great match but still not the way to do it in my mind.

I'll be getting mine done the right way soon.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
325 Posts
On paintscratch.com you can order color codes pens, rattle cans or pint thru quart, and they can add flex additive to it, like if you were painting a bumper or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts