Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went thought some old topics on this, but they were all vague. i need specifics...

theres a notch on my pulley, (stock).

where is the line to line that up with?

i need help cuz at the moment my car is way out oftiming. my exhaust cam has gotta be atleast 10 degrees retarded.

need help soon

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
assuming that u still have stock cam sprockets (dont c them in ur sig). take the cam belt off (loosenin the tensioner of course). valve cover off of course. if u can hook up w/a jetter that has an alignment bar 4 the cams that would b good. or u could devise some other type of straight edge 2 get the cams close. using the bar, line the cams up that both of the keys on the back of the cams slide over the bar. with those held in place and sorted. take the spark plug outta #1 (plug nearest cam sprockets). stick a long screwdriver down into the cylinder. have a buddy/family member watch it. watch it as u take a 18mm socket and w/ratchet or breaker bar turn ur udp (crank pulley) bolt clockwise. u need 2 turn this til the screwdriver is at its highest outright pt. keep turnin til u find this u will have 2 fidget a lil 2 get that every last bit 2wards tdc on #1. with that done, u can start 2 button everythin up. belt on, bar out, cover on, tensioned, ur set. if u have adj cam sprockets and want 2 align them w/each other (aesthetics) then loosen ur cam sprocket bolts (not the adjusters, the main bolt torx 55) and move accordingly. make sure that if u doin anything w/the cam sprocket bolt that u DONT rely on the alignment bar 2 hold the cams in place, u will break them. vicegrips in between the 1st 2 journals will suffice. any questions welcome. good luck

-Ult

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
um. i dont like the screwdriver method, cuz the piston floats at tdc for like 15 degrees of travel, and thats not precice enough. sorry. i used the screwdriver method last night and thats what got me what i got.

anyone else know how to align using the pulley?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Other than the screwdriver method the best way to find TDC is to use the AEM Cam tools. When I installed my gears last year I tested the crank block against the screwdriver method and what my UDP's TDC mark was showing and they were very close. Close enough that I wasn't going to worry about the difference. See if there is a jetter close to you that has the AEM tools.

What specifically is your car doing now? Idling poorly, running like crap, misfiring?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have the aem tools with the tdc peg but how do you use the peg? what cylinder does it go in? do you screw it all the way down? i don't know how you would because it goes down in the head.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
cylinder #1, as tight as u would a spark plug. i cant verify this tool and how well it does/doesnt work, cant loose w/a screwdriver. and it doesnt, u will find it 2 the exact pt ur lookin 4.

-Ult

·
Registered
27 Posts
the reason i asked about what cylinder is because there is no way for it to go in cylinder #1 with it being at tdc. the peg is to long the threads wouldn't even come close to catching, so i figured it went in a different cylinder.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
#1 is all that matters here, put that tool away and do it w/the screwdriver. u will find where u need 2 b.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The peg goes in the block below the #3 cyl there is a cap that you loosen remove. Then you screw in the tool and softly turn the crank. When it comes in contact with the peg your at TDC. Like I said in my first post I checked that marking against my UDP and the screwdriver method and the were all with in + or- 2% of the same place.

UltegraSTI is correct I wouldn't trust the UPD marking. If you don't have the AEM tools the screwdriver is you best bet.

[ 01-20-2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Euro Ford Fan ]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Euro or anyone, do you have a photo ar something to help with the location for the peg as I see no plug by cyl 3 to screw it into, Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank's I'll look again this weekend

1 - 13 of 13 Posts