Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is in the wrong forum because it wont let me post anything in pit stop, so mods please move this.

Anyway, I heard that there can be UP TO a $10,000 fine for removing the cat and driving without it. Is this at all true
? I live in Wis. if that helps. Im planning on getting it in a few weeks so Id like to know.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
you are going to FEDERAL POUND ME IN THE ASS PRISON if you remove it

Whatever you do dont take your cat off. Go hug some trees

I think they can, but ive nevar heard of anyone getting slack for it, except on [FJ]

·
Registered
964 Posts
One other thing to remember is removing your cat voids your warranty. Not sure about relocating the cat though.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It all depends on the state and country you are in.
check your local laws.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
It all depends on the state and country you are in.
check your local laws.
Like he said. I only know CA. Here on any OBD2 car (all foci) you obviously cannot remove it, but it must be OEM and in its original location. Federal law mandates that a cat can't be replaced unless it is damaged or has over 50,000 miles. As for relocation from my cautious reading of law it should be in the stock location.

My advise, get a race header and leave the outside stock looking to avoid being a cop magnet in the first place. I haven't had the police do more than just hand me a ticket in well over a decade. (yes the older I get the less the cops even consider searching my car.)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I never said what IT was, although Im sure most of you figured it out that I wanted to get a race header. Anyway, it is MANDITORY that I get emmissions tested every two years. So if I did get one, what whould I have to do to prepare for that? And for everyone to know, in wisconsin your car doesnt get tested through the exhaust, they plug a scanner in and read anything that shows up on there that shouldnt be. So with an O2 cheater, would that say on there computer as something wrong? Or just bypass it? And my other concern is that if they hear how loud my car is, do you think they will check under the hood? If so I will probably be in some trouble.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Its the animal with whiskers that lives in your exhaust track and changes the exhaust to be nonharmful to the environment. J/K Cat is short for catalyst converter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey, I live in Wisconsin, and I never need emissions testing! You know why? When I titled the car, I put "Walworth County" down for the county the vehicle is kept in. Not every county does emissions testing, and you do not necessarily have to live in a county to "keep your car there". I have all kinds of friends here in Milwaukee who've done this to get out of emissions testing.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive heard of people doing that, but Ive also heard of people getting caught. I only live like 10 mins from the walworth county border. Ill look into it. Thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts