Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some cam gears last week and took them in for tuning. At 0, 0 my horsepower peak was 121.67 and torque was 126.17. This is with Iceman CAI, Borla Catback, FCTB, and the Kent Cam Gears and since I have nothing more than bolt ons I was only running 87 octane. The peak horsepower was around 5800 rpms. The peak torque at 0,0 was around 4700.

My best peak run was at -1,-3 where I got a somewhat disappointing 123.50 hp and 126.80 tq. Peak hp was at 5600 and peak tq was 4600-4650

After 6000 the peak run was 3 hp and 3 lbs over the 0,0 run most of the way until rev cutoff.

Should I finish the exhaust with hiflow cat and shorty header or get a chip and Pro Flow or a combo?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don't know, but for your mods, that doesn't look too bad. Actually, I would think that is in the right ballpark, being that stock is ~108-114HP at the wheels, and you are seeing 121-123HP. Too really start moving it up, finish off the breathing components (Shorty with HF Cat, or Race Header, as well as a 2.25" flex pipe), then get new cams (Stage II, Crane, Crower, Ford, whatever), the bigger MAFS will help as well.

In the end, I think you faired pretty well on the Dyno run, but hey, I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
uh, thats very good 4 what u got. there r many of us out there that have or have had more and reeped less from it. b happy that is good.

-Ult

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Thats just about on par with what FocusSport got with similar mods:

http://www.focussport.com/dyno.htm

Stock
VS
FocusSport Cool-Flo Intake, FocusSport Cat-Back Exhaust, FocusSport 8mm Plug Wires*, and Kent Adjustable Cam Gears

I wouldn't be dissapointed at all - You have a GREAT poit to start some serious mods.

Get a race header/flex/cams - Then have some good ole fun

- Drew

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
that's a great dyno for the limited amount of mods you have. what were you expecting??
you're just getting started.

want a little more? udp, flex pipe, and either a high flow cat, race header, or off road pipe will add quite a bit more for only a little more $$. that stock cat is a big restriction. after that i'd go for some cams to hit that "140 or bust" with ease... if you don't hit it before them...

Nate

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
dont feel bad when i had cams and a whole bunch of other crap i only got 125fwhp and 112fwtq!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Originally posted by V:
dont feel bad when i had cams and a whole bunch of other crap i only got 125fwhp and 112fwtq!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What kind of cams and where they dyno tuned?

[ 01-17-2003, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: ZX3 Canuck ]

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd say that was a very good run for what you have. Just wait until our dyno day next week so that you can compare where you are at against some of the other cars. You might feel better afterwards.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for insight. I was thinking of the HF cat next. Random Tech has come down in price a little and I keep reading here that Bosal is close so I'm a little hesitant! Thanks again for schooling a rookie.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by V:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I bet you still had the stock cat on there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, the stock cat is very restrictive. If you don't care about emissions, then definitely go with a race header next to see some dramatic improvements. If you do care, then there's always the RandomTech hi-flow cat. Good starting numbers BTW!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Like the people are saying, those numbers are actally pretty good. The obvious things missing from the 'formula' are some a header and a set of cams.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by V:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I bet you still had the stock cat on there.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That I did but still 112tq @ 4500

The cams were semi-tuned but not on a dyno. They are also out of the car now

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by valeriy davydov:
Random Tech site says that catalityc for Focus is COMING SOON???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Uh, actually the Random Tech Cat for the Focus Zetec is already in existence. It has been for some time. The RT website is SLOW at updates.

RT Cat @ McNew's Automotive $299.00

[ 01-17-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

·
Registered
379 Posts
hum. Thats weird, my dyno runs showed a peak of 135whp and 124fwt, and constantly ranging in 123, 125, 130 all i'm running is a non SVT stock dohc eninge with CAI and modded MAF. premium fuel. synthetic oils. But since recently My clutch disk exploded, so its been sitting in the garage for a few weeks, waiting for tranny to come back with new syncros, + I installed a centerforce clutch dual fric. for soon upcomming turbo. also shorty headers where put in two days ago, along with cams, and adj cam gears, and str alt. pully. Will be going back to the dyno for results in a few weeks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts