Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post and let you all be the first to know that my little project is complete! It took just about four days to complete.

The transmission and the wiring harness we completely in the car as of Sunday evening about 5pm central time...but we didn't get her to start until tonight.

We encountered two expected problems with getting her to start. 1. The clutch pedal position sensor. It wasn't wiring in the auto so I had to find a way around it. 2. The PCM. The car runs fine with my automatic's PCM, but there are tons of codes and lights. Soo...I had to play some magic to get the car to run with the 5spd car's PCM. Here's what we did to get my key to work:

Took the PCM from the 5spd and the security computer and plugged them in my car. Then we unplugged the automatics "antenae" for the key code and pluged in the 5spds and taped the 5spd car's antenae to it. (TO think the key was cranking the car) Then, just unpluged the ignition and used a screwdriver LoL It WORKED.

What's left? All I have to do now is get my car to the ford dealership and have them code the 5spd car's PCM to work with my keys and I'm all set. Now, I haven't drove the car but just about 1/2 mile so I'm not positive everything works.....but I'm completely pumped everything has gone half way well!!!

Kev

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: AlaFoci ]</p>

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Hey, that was a good idea!

·
Registered
252 Posts
wow. ingenious way around the sensor. haha. sounds great man...id love to do this to my car. you really are some sort of genious.

-flipz

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
awsome, can't wait to see pics of the finished product

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Congrats!!
How much does something like that cost?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Glad your project went well, but please tell me your way around the clutch switch wasn't a jumper wire. I do a lot of wiring on cars and transmissions, and you should always hook up the safetys to prevent starting in gear. I know of a case locally where a guy bought a kit car that didn't have these safetys, and his mechanic got ran over by the car because of it. The builder of the car is now being sued for neglegence for not hooking up that wire.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My god....was the guy hurt? I'm still trying to figure out what kind of idiot gets in a manual car and tries to start it without the clutch engaged! I was taught when I learned to drive to push the clutch in when you start the car. Dad always said, "just in case." Call me crazy I guess, but an accident like that just seems really stuiped.

Kev

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
I've been driving an auto my entire life, but learned a clutch just in case. Now with my MTX, I've always have the clutch, brake, handbrake, and in netural when I start it up. Paranoid? Maybe. But it works.

Good job on the swap. Sounds like it was a lot of work, but I hope you documented it well, for anyone else following in your footsteps. The auto enthusiest needs pioneers like you (and the others as well).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Flipz - Genious??? Hardly LoL

Egz - Pioneer??? I don't know if I would go that far. I just knew what I wanted and went for it. And didn't listen to everyone telling me it can't be done.

jptech2004 - The cost really was very very little. I bought a wrecked 2000 sedan with the motor, trans, interior, etc for an extremely good deal. Hopefully once I sell the parts off the car the whole swap will end up costing ZERO, except for the time of course.

All in all, I would say it can be done very cheap if you have a donor car. Mainly because the auto's harness won't work with the 5spd. I will try to compile a list of things needed for the swap in a bit.

Kev

·
Registered
836 Posts
I know a guy that has a SVT contour and he by passed his clutch saftey switch to install his remote starter. He started his car from in the house one day and next thing he knew, the car was throught the garage door and into the back wall.......just a story....Russell

·
Registered
816 Posts
my focus and my porsche and my friend's bimmer all don't have the clutch switch. You just have to know to check for neutral, and use the parking brake.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL I guess the point is that we should all be as safe as possible no matter how we start our cars. Better safe than sorry is what I always say.

Kev

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
THERE IS LIGHT for the awfulmatic!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well guys I just took her for the first ride as a 5spd car, and I must admit..............................................IT WAS FREAKIN' AMAZING! Oh my god I'm in love! The jackson feels completely different in a 5spd than it did with the automatic! I'm in LOVE!

The car runs GREAT, NO CODES AT ALL! My vehicle speed sensor isn't working though, because the speedo isn't working. But, I'm completely pumped! The car runs soo great!

I plan to start getting a step by step type of guide with some pics. However, I was unable to take pics during the process due to the fact that my company's digi. cam was out of state :-(

Thanks,

Kev

1 - 20 of 86 Posts