Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me tell you guys, I never had the intention of getting all this done but when I heard my tranny needed to get opened up for a leak, one thing lead to another and well....
You live only once, right? I didnt do much driving with the car today. I picked it up from the dealership around 2, went home, slept till 8pm, then drove for a bit.

Still *kinda* taking it easy on the new clutch, but I did get a good run in. The clutch feels stock in regards with engagement and pressure to push the pedal. I launched the car and immediately you can feel/hear BOTH wheels trying to hook up. First gear flies by and its noticably shorter. I was at around 30mph at 7K RPM when i HAD to shift into second. Shifting feels a bit smoother with the redline tranny fluid I opted for.

Later in the day I had a straight stretch of road before getting onto the highway, so I shifted into second and punched it. The change in acceleration was amazing. Even my girlfriend was like "Wow"
She could definately feel the difference in how quickly it accelerated.

Sitting at a redlight later in the night, I was blipping the throttle and just watching how much faster the RPMs drop. Definately dope.

Unlike previously stated I have not had problems with my idle with the flywheel. Nor have I had problems with the flywheel/crower cams idling. But I did notice that the transmission is a bit more chattery than before. Nothing that I cant live with.

Also there are some part numbers floating around that I used to order parts at the counter and the guys at in the shop didnt know wtf they were for. I'll post them later, they are still in the car. Also somewhere I got a part number for a speed sensor, totally unnecessary

Big thanks to Ben at Apex Motorsports, Tony D at NewEdge, FocusSport, and the guys at Victor Ford Motorsports for putting up with me all the time
I promise I wont bug U guys for a whole week now,

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Carizme ]</p>

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Awesome man.. You know we have the same HP and TQ. Now I HAVE to get that stuff...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Dont romp on it til the 27th bro...hopefully you will have some new slips to post

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did you have idle problems with the Crowers before the install? How does the flywheel hold up in stop-and-go traffic? What is your rpm in 5th at 70?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I plan to do this eventually.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pimp27: Yes, please do that

nem0: i DID have problems with the crowers, but thats because the cams werent properly aligned, which could have been avoided if I woulda gotten my free alignment tool with my cam gears. The problem was fixed (before the tranny mods) and it idled perfectly and still does. 5th gear at 70, i didnt do yet, but I will do it today and see where it sits. It doesnt feel like it'd be different in stop and go traffic, but then again, i didnt have any stop and go traffic last nite

·
Registered
606 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by zx3ford:
Awesome man.. You know we have the same HP and TQ. Now I HAVE to get that stuff...
<hr></blockquote>

July 3, 2002, Sacramento, CA... <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>by zx3ford:
I'm done with modding my car...gonna work on the TBird.<hr></blockquote>

And then there's this post

Yeah, right Devon.
You're addicted...admit it!

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Hooked Again ]</p>

·
Registered
92 Posts
Read somewhere that the Euro RS used the mtx75 with quaife and 4.06 gears right from the factory. I wonder if it would be cost effective the buy the entire tranny, do a swap and sell the original. The Labor to do the installation of the gears, etc. might make it cost roughly the same.

·
Registered
85 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Carizme:
First off, let me tell you guys, I never had the intention of getting all this done but when I heard my tranny needed to get opened up for a leak, one thing lead to another and well....
You live only once, right? I didnt do much driving with the car today. I picked it up from the dealership around 2, went home, slept till 8pm, then drove for a bit.

Still *kinda* taking it easy on the new clutch, but I did get a good run in. The clutch feels stock in regards with engagement and pressure to push the pedal. I launched the car and immediately you can feel/hear BOTH wheels trying to hook up. First gear flies by and its noticably shorter. I was at around 30mph at 7K RPM when i HAD to shift into second. Shifting feels a bit smoother with the redline tranny fluid I opted for.

Later in the day I had a straight stretch of road before getting onto the highway, so I shifted into second and punched it. The change in acceleration was amazing. Even my girlfriend was like "Wow"
She could definately feel the difference in how quickly it accelerated.

Sitting at a redlight later in the night, I was blipping the throttle and just watching how much faster the RPMs drop. Definately dope.

Unlike previously stated I have not had problems with my idle with the flywheel. Nor have I had problems with the flywheel/crower cams idling. But I did notice that the transmission is a bit more chattery than before. Nothing that I cant live with.

Also there are some part numbers floating around that I used to order parts at the counter and the guys at in the shop didnt know wtf they were for. I'll post them later, they are still in the car. Also somewhere I got a part number for a speed sensor, totally unnecessary

Big thanks to Ben at Apex Motorsports, Tony D at NewEdge, FocusSport, and the guys at Victor Ford Motorsports for putting up with me all the time
I promise I wont bug U guys for a whole week now,

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Carizme ]
<hr></blockquote>

I believe the speed sensor is connected to the transmission, so you would definitely need that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Carizme:
First gear flies by and its noticably shorter. <hr></blockquote>

First gear in the 4.06 tranny is LONGER than the stock focus gears, all the rest are shorter.

I have a 4.06 MTX-75 sitting in my basement right now. 30K miles. Any takers?

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hooked Again:

And then there's this post

Yeah, right Devon.
You're addicted...admit it!

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Hooked Again ]
<hr></blockquote>

No comment!

·
Registered
349 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ev1svt:

First gear in the 4.06 tranny is LONGER than the stock focus gears, all the rest are shorter.

<hr></blockquote>

Not if he just replaced the ring and pinion.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ev1svt:

<hr></blockquote>

How much ya want for it?

Really PM me - I'd like to see what the going rates for these are

drew
fok

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dazed42:

<hr></blockquote>

right-o

·
Registered
944 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pimp27:
Told you, you would be happy with the ACT clutch.. I'll tell Ben you are very happy with it.

Eric
<hr></blockquote>

i was wondering if he was talking about the same ben i know that works at apex.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Bump - Feel any better or different after a lil more break in time?

drew
fok

·
Registered
531 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dazed42:

<hr></blockquote>

He-he. Oops, your right. I should read better.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
ev1 - How much do you want for your Tranny?

Just want to get an idea of what they are going for

drew
fok

·
Registered
309 Posts
Turbo Tom told me not all 2001 trannies can be fitted with the 4.06 gears, he also told me he sells trans. with the quaife and the 4.06 gears for a reasonable price.

I was wondering will a phatom grip do the trick or
I'm better off spending the extra dinero, (money).
Also I saw in sport compact car article the tranny removal requires the removal of a lot of stuff is this tru, it doesn't seem so.

Thanks,

Miguel

1 - 20 of 38 Posts