Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, newbie here, this is my first post, so go easy...

I bought my ZX3 about 3 months ago, and I'm starting to feel I want a little more power, especially in the lower RPM range if possible, though I'll settle for what I can get. What are some opinions on the first thing that any ZX3 owner should have done?

I'd like to not void my warranty, and money is an issue (otherwise I'd just go get an SVT or at least a supercharger!) Sorry, I know those are tough constraints, but I'm trying to be rational here. Thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
my first mod was the intake. my next will be exhaust. i like to think i should let it breathe better, then exhale better. after THAT, i may go for a chip, since im cursed with an auto.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
i went intake, chip, under drive pulleys, exhaust...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well like most other I went with a cold air intake first, then I went for an exhuast. Just think of your engine as an air pump the easier the air goes through the more efficient the engine. Also if you have an automatic I know many people love the chip as the first mod. Good luck.

Paparoach

[ 09-29-2002, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Paparoach ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
On my 02 ZX3 with 160 mi. on it I decided to go with exhaust first. Then remove the resonator from the stock air box (snorkle added) and install an ITG drop in filter. I hope this helps you so you might not make the same mistake. I decided on the Borla cat-back($343.SummitRacing) because Ive used them before with good results and their very high quality. The sound was nice and the fit was perfect but because of the tubing size 2.5" I felt a loss in low end power, that was a big dissapointment. I did alot of research and found that I would be better off with a good 2" system so I went with the Flowmaster ($215. from Summit Racing).If your not going to do very many mods I would recommend one of these. Very good low and mid power. 2mpg increase over the Borla as well. Picture: http://www.focusperformance.com/tpls/Detail.tpl?command=search&db=foccat.db&eqskudata=17343&cart=311616883938843 I you plan on doing several mods then you might want to consider a 2.25" system from Magnaflow or YoDude.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
You can start with the basic bolt-ons - exhaust, intake, and header.

IMO, the first mods that one should do to a Focus is to get rid of that nasty fender gap (drop/suspension) and replace that nasty antenna that is trying to contact Mars.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Originally posted by sk8fool:
Leave the air filter resonator in, you gain like 1 hp and lose 1 torque. Just go with a Cold Air intake. You can start to find them on ebay for around $100 now
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How can you lose 1 lb of torque by letting in a little more air if its snorkled to the front in cool air. The fact is that your Cold Air Intake should be called Hot Air Intake because thats what it will be doing at low speeds.And once again torque loss at low end.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Of all the performance mods that can be made, IMO power should be last. While the stock focus is weak, it still makes more than enough power and speed to overwhelm the traction and handling ability of the car, if the car is actually being driven at its limits.

With that aside, I would say the important thing is to have a specific power goal and then use that power goal to form a plan before you start buying parts.

Some parts aren't compatible with others. Worst case is you drop a bunch on bolt ons, decide power still sucks, go to a turbo, and in the process must take off a bunch of stuff you bought. Don't ask me how I know.

Enjoy, and welcome.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Originally posted by bugshack:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by sk8fool:
Leave the air filter resonator in, you gain like 1 hp and lose 1 torque. Just go with a Cold Air intake. You can start to find them on ebay for around $100 now
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How can you lose 1 lb of torque by letting in a little more air if its snorkled to the front in cool air. The fact is that your Cold Air Intake should be called Hot Air Intake because thats what it will be doing at low speeds.And once again torque loss at low end.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dyno'd my car with the stock intake and during low rpms u lose 1 torque and gain 1 hp. It bogs it down for low rpms

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did intake, springs, exhaust, throttle body, rims

I think most people go with an intake system first. They're cheap and you can tell a differnce in sound and performance

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
A good intake is a great first mod. (I had a k&n FIPK waiting when I got the car....)
Bang for the buck, and I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet, is an AF/X Crank Underdrive Pulley for 100 bucks and change. Whether or not it adds a billion Hp, it will quicken the response of your engine, AND send more of the power that you have to the wheels, instead of draining it on the accessories as much.
After those two, Flex-Pipe and Catback, then the chip, then go from there.
You'll be doing ALOT more reading before you get past your first mod or two. Try the "Search" button at the top right of any applicable Forum, anytime you have a question, and you'll find LOTS of useful Info. (And SOME Not-so-Useful...
) Keep reading, and you'll figure out who "Knows-their-stuff".
Good Luck, WELCOME TO THE 'JET!!!, and Enjoy your Focus!!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Since your limited on funds...I say you make the Home Depot custom Cold Air Intake..it will add some major tq..and also take off the resonator and run a custom tube to that puilling in more air...Port your stock throttle body...then spend your money on a nice Bosal Cat Back system and matching flex pipe.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, appreciate the help...I'm seeing that the majority are recommending an intake, so I'll do my homework and see what I can come up with.

Anything else? Any other ideas not mentioned yet?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Not for first mods....
When you do your research, be sure and read some older threads as well as newer ones.
Some of the Newer ones are tainted by lack of input about the "Same old Dead Horse" from more experienced 'Jetter's who are tired of Beating the Carcass.

IMO, it's a toss-up between the Volant, and the k&n FIPK.
I'd recommend the $25 or less swap to the SVT Intake Snorkel with either of them. W/ a little ingenuity, both of the intakes I mentioned can be adapted to the considerably larger tubing of the SVT snorkel for more Cold-Air...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Originally posted by sk8fool:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This might be of intrest reguarding this issue. This dyno test shows that stock has better hp and tq up to 3K. http://www.myfordfocus.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5999

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
im gonna hafta agree...
$:$ the suspension (springs and dampers) is my best mod so far, and the one where i think i will get the most use out of.... (apex sport kit)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts