Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The First Spec Focus Test is done.

The First test for NASA’s Focus Spec Series was done this past weekend.
The test was done on a 2.3L Focus for a baseline test. (baseline meaning CAI, Catback, High performance springs… but OEM dampers, and Kumho V700 track tires). The car weight in around 2,583 lbs.

The test was done at Willow Springs Speedway in California. The Target Time for this Baseline Focus was around 1:43.50. I know this doesn’t mean a lot to some people, but the Spec Miata will run around 1:38.3, Honda H4 1:38.3, and the SER Cup Cars 1:39.1. on this 2.5 Mile track.

The test fell short because we could only did one session because of tread separation problems with ourTest Kumho ESCTA V700 tires. After a 20 minute session we had tread separation in one of our tires. It looks to be a manufacture defected more then a tire wear problem. But, at about 9/10ths speed, the car was able to do a 1:45.02, which was about 1.5 off our target time.

But all and all the test went fine, and it gives us a start for the 2.3L Focus.

The next test will be on September 10-11th. On that weekend we’ll be testing both the 2.3L Duratec (with the Dynamic Suspension, and swaybars) We’re also going to test a Full Race ready Zetec Focus with headers, ECU Flash, Koni Dampers and Sportsline springs. On that date will hope to be around 1:41.00 with both cars, which will put us just a tick off out target Spec Series speed for Willow Springs of a sub 1:39.00.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I thought the point of a baseline was to put the same track suspension on all cars, and try to even out the power with weight? OEM dampers? Sportline springs (the all show and no go ones?)?

Sounds like too many variables.

I'd think the focus should be faster than spec miata. I'm 2 seconds off their pace at beaverun and nelson ledges on street tires.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the point of a baseline was to put the same track suspension on all cars, and try to even out the power with weight? OEM dampers? Sportline springs (the all show and no go ones?)?

Sounds like too many variables.

I'd think the focus should be faster than spec miata. I'm 2 seconds off their pace at beaverun and nelson ledges on street tires.
You're right... The Focus should be faster at some tracks then a SM. Others they might not be.

Also, The sportsline springs will most likely will not be used. But, we're going to test it against the Dynamic Kit anyways. But right now that is what we're going to use in that Zetec Focus. It will be change in November.

The Dynamic Suspension kit will most likely be the Spec Suspension Kit. That is what Ford Racing would like NASA to use.

You are also make to many assumtions what each car will have on it, be patient and see the final product.

I think you might not understand what were doing in each test and future test. This is the first test Period. NASA has a lot of Experence in starting Spec Series, they know what they are doing and know what they want.

NASA will also have help from Ford Racing (who's also testing a car), Gillis Motorsport (who's also testing a car), LC Racing (who will build a car), F2 Focus (who will be building multiple cars and test cars) and other Focus Race teams.

I think the easy answer to you question is to be patient.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Just FYI here are some times from the FC guys:

Streets Of Willow Clockwise

ZX3's (2.0 no duratecs)
1:38.91 All Stock w/ Konis,
1:37.45 LSD, Headwork and Cams, H&R Coilovers, RA1s
1:39.29 Victoracers, Headwork, Cams, Eibach Suspension
1:43.88 HKS Exhaust, Gutted Interior w/ Full Cage

SVTs
1:37.88 FK Coilovers, Intake, Kuhmo MXs
1:35.90 LSD, H&R Coilovers, RA1s, Intake, UDP

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just FYI here are some times from the FC guys:

Streets Of Willow Clockwise

ZX3's (2.0 no duratecs)
1:38.91 All Stock w/ Konis,
1:37.45 LSD, Headwork and Cams, H&R Coilovers, RA1s
1:39.29 Victoracers, Headwork, Cams, Eibach Suspension
1:43.88 HKS Exhaust, Gutted Interior w/ Full Cage

SVTs
1:37.88 FK Coilovers, Intake, Kuhmo MXs
1:35.90 LSD, H&R Coilovers, RA1s, Intake, UDP
Great Thanks.
But This might not help us because NASA doesn't run on the Streets of Willow. I'll keep the info for review.... Thanks.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I agree with Gary.
In the SouthEast Division SCCA, there may be 60+ Spec Miatas on the grid.
Starting out, I would think the "spec" Focus would run with ITC, ITB, EProd, et al. I'd hope the front rather than the back of the pack.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5 seconds off a spec miata? that is light years...
Who said 5 seconds off a spec miata?

I said at most tracks the Focus will be faster then a SM.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
once again, i run against those buggers in enduros..i am speaking based on 3 years of racing against them in a focus, not theoratical thinking

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with Gary. While I have not raced against them I have shared the track with them on my SVT with KW3 coilovers & RA1s and driving the nuts out of my car I wasn't even close to them on the corners. I am not the fastest driver but I am also not slow.
At Roebling Road and even Road Atlanta the SMs are flat out most of the track. You are just not going to be able to match their cornering speed in a "spec" focus.

Albert

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
i've said it before...you have not lived til you have gone 3 wide with sm's in turn seven at lime rock....and another thing..with sean in my car (and he is damn fast), it speced race svt with v700's on it...he could not catch one miata on a foci oriented track, shenandoah

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there are fast sm's everywhere
Let's not get counter productive here. The numbers I have given were average numbers from SCCA and NASA for SER Cup, Honda Challenge 4, and Spec Miata. These are Factual numbers for the track we were testing at. The Bottom line is the Spec Series must fall into that group and it will. But, It can be a tick or so off.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I think the SM times have a lot of variation. The spread of speeds seem to be pretty wide. I would have run mid-pack with my car at BR, but I have a turbo and arguably better suspension than this spec series. I couldn't keep up with the leaders.

So when you say "keep up with SM", it really needs definition. You talking the front runners, mid-pack, or back markers?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So when you say "keep up with SM", it really needs definition. You talking the front runners, mid-pack, or back markers?
mid-pack or back markers is fine... They don't need to be faster then the leading SM.

The one thing we don't want is the Average Spec Focus to be 3 or 4 ticks of the Avgerage Spec Miata. A tick or two is fine.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed, so here is some data
http://www.ncrscca.com/Pdf/2005Results/MarMemories/g1race.pdf
I figure a 2.25 is about midpack.
Here’s a Perfect example of times of a SM. You can see the fastest car is runs a 2:20.8…and the slowest Miata runs a 2.29 or so…. That is nine seconds difference. I would say the average SM on that race day would be 2:24.5…. If a Spec Focus can do a 2:26 or 2:27 that would be good enough for VIR in a Spec Focus.

We don't want them to run less then 2:30 There in the fastest Focus.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Right now, with clear track, I think I can run a 2:26, maybe. But that would be my absolute best run and my average would slip to 2:28 or lower in a hurry, I am sure.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts