Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the research process of getting a motorcycle. I have never ridden, but I have always wanted to learn. I do not want a nut rocket, I want a cruiser. I have been looking and reading, and since I have no experience it looks like a 250 is the bet choice. But I know how I am, I am going to want more power real quick. Is the 250 powerful enough to keep me interested? Also I am trying to keep it under $3-4K for the first bike, and I am not against buying used. One bike I came across was the Honda Rebel, MSRP $2995 new. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some good choices would a liitle more than youre price range
but not by much. The 250 once you learn will lose its charm really quick so I would suggest a kawasaki vulcan 800 or a yamaha V star 650 both can be found for about $4000 if you get a year or two old model with very low milage.They will also keep youre interest once you learn how to ride.Both bikes also have a strong after market following

·
Registered
155 Posts
250cc do lose their charm quickly but they also have an advantage of preventing you from doing very stupid stuff. I went from 250cc to 1200cc and it nearly cost me my life (ever hit a speed bump at 130mph?)

250cc is a great starter bike. If you really feel that you need more beef go for 600cc range but remember you are not John Rambo.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'll probably be getting my first bike at the end of the year. I'm hoping to get a used GSXR 750

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
I'll probably be getting my first bike at the end of the year. I'm hoping to get a used GSXR 750
please don't say that you're going to start out on a Gixxer...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I had a GSXR600 as a second bike, but I would whole heartedly NOT recommend buying one as a first bike. The 96 and up GSXR750 is a very responsive, tight handling bike. It is a very race bred design that was NEVER intended for a beginning rider. The motor is damn near explosive once the tach sweeps past 8k. You can get yourself into a world of hurt faster than you can imagine on that bike. A beginning rider would be much better served by a more sedate, less powerful motorcycle.

I wouldn't recommend getting a 250 (you'll want something different in about a month.) If your on a budget, the EX500 can be good, or even used SV650's can be found pretty inexpensively. The SV is pretty darn torquey for its displacement, but I don't think it would be too much for the beginning rider.

One thing that can't be stressed enough is to do your research. Talk to people that ride, read the magazines and take the riding class. Be sure this is something you wanna do before you buy the motorcycle.

I think the other thing to consider is that bad things happen to MOST motorcyclists. Motorcycles are wonderful, but they have a dark side. The potential for severe injuries are around every bend. I was hit by a F-150 back in 1997 and was lucky to have walked away with my life. Many people aren't as fortunate.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
please don't say that you're going to start out on a Gixxer...
nope i'm gonna learn on my dads 95 suzuki 800. Then, i'll prolly get a 97 GSXR 750.

--edit--
that's the plan....but who knows how it will unfold. Its all dependant on me getting a a certain job....and blah blah. As far as the bike goes...that's just plan too...it could end up being something completely different.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
ohhh ok, i was hoping that lol... learning to ride on a Gixxer 750 would be craaaazy

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have been riding for over 35 years and a 250 is too small to keep up with traffic very well or go out on a day trip so I believe you will get frustrated with it very quickly.

Look for something in the 500cc range used as there are plenty. The current Motorcyclist mag has a very good article on the the top 50 used motorycycles and what to look for when buying them and price guides.

Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class at your local college as it will teach you skills you need to stay alive in traffic as staying alive is a good thing.

·
Registered
803 Posts
MSF is a good choice especially since you use their bikes.

Skip right over the 250s. they are easy but you will become bored with it soon. I learned on a stretched, raked, ape-hangered sportster 883 which was not easy. The first bike I bought was a Vulcan 500 that was GREAT for the amoutn of experience I had. I'm now looking at a larger cruiser and would love a Mean Streak but the $11k is too much for me for a bike at the moment.

Since you specifically mentioned cruiser I'll actually talk about some cruisers....

The Vulcan 500 mine is a 500A where as there newer 500LTD has more of an American cruiser style as opposed to the Japanese cruiser style of the 500A

The Vulcan 800A and 800B are very good and not a huge amount larger than the 500 but are definitely more well suited toward highway driving. The 500 is revved so high and is so light that I rarely do any highway riding.

The Marauder 800 is really nice especialyl the new one with the pullback drag bar style. It's definitely comparable to the Vulcan 800.

Of course there is the Harley Sportster. A lot of people call it a "chick" bike but really is a decent ride. Also... You can do just about anything you want with a Harley.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I intend to build my own bike one of these days, I've gotten bored with the compact car scene and am seriously looking into building an old school style chopper .......

·
Registered
943 Posts
I also recommend the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. I had been riding for years before I took it 15 years ago. If you don't know how to ride they teach you. If you do they teach you hopw to better. You get discount insurance, and best of all you don't have to take the MV motorcycle course. I heard that can be a bee-yach.

As far as a bike get something in the 350-500cc range. Stay away from crotch rockets as your first. Get something where you are sitting in an upright position. You can probably pick up a nice used Virago, Shadow, Nighthawk, or Vulcan for under $2k. Sometimes even less. Check your local classifieds. You can sometimes find a great deal on one with real low miles. Someone buys one and doesn't have time to ride so they sell it.

Most of all be careful. Never assume that cars see you. Because they never do.

·
Registered
175 Posts
im also in the process of getting a bike, with no experience. check out beginner bike . excellent source of information. for what ive read most people recommend a kawi 250 or ex500. good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts