Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't really seen any threads for it...sew hear won are.

What style longboarding do you prefer? Post picks of your boards, and or vids of skating all up in this piece.

This is what I was doing last night:

Speed is about 30mph. On speed runs we've gotten 35-38mph out of this hill.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That run looks super fun. I'd love to just carve down that.

I haven't skated a ton in the last year or so...I mainly use it for exercise and to get places now. I definitely always just preferred cruising around and carving, but did a bit of downhill and slalom too. A buddy and I actually started making some of our own; we even sold a few. Once I moved up to Fargo for school that stopped though. In any case....here are a few pictures that I had stashed on my photobucket.

This is my main board. I use it for everything....downhill, long distance skates, and just cruising around. I actually have two of this exact same deck heh.

It's a Chicago Longboards drop deck on Crails...its on Pink Gumballs in this photo...it's currently on Bigzigs.

And another of the same board...the indents you see are holled out and filled with a bit of foam so its lighter...wrapped in Carbon Fiber.

I also have a Loaded Fish, a Longboard Larry Dancer, and than some Beatnik stuff I helped make.

I guess I'll just throw up a few we made...

Sorry for the Image bombing.

Fargo pretty much sucks for all styles of skating other than just cruising around. Hopefully if I'm back in Mpls/St. Paul this summer I can start skating alot more again and even start pumping out some more Beatnik boards.

·
Kyle Gave Me His Oklahoma Foot Disease!
11,279 Posts
Loving these:

Yet another thing I've done and loved but never got into. I really need more time and more cash :lol:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Those V-lams look awesome but pretty much suck to ride haha. They have ZERO flex so you feel every last crack, bump, or rock you ride over. Definitely more of a "only ride on perfectly smooth pavement for short distances" kinda board.

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Insanely awesome night yesterday (and this morning):

Hit up a couple parking structures in and around Irvine.

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Set up a mountain run yesterday just outside of San Diego. We had 10 total show up, and skated from about 7:30am-11am getting about 10 runs in on two different twisty roads. It was an awesome day to skate, too.

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah, I didn't bring a camera. I was in a light blue shirt and jeans with either a black, or a silver helmet on.

On a side note, I'm nearly finished building my first full-on downhill boards. (Built a few others for practice, and shaped a few for other people) I like a shape that Sector 9 does on a really hard to get (and expensive) deck called the "Downhill Division Ginger." Eventually I'll get one from a buddy of mine that works at S9, but for the time being I decided to have some fun and make one without the drop:

Here it is just after I shaped it:

After a quick test ride it felt just a little bit flexy, so I decided to glass the top and bottom for some strength and rigidity. Here's how it turned out:

It's curing right now. Once it's done I'll be painting it semi-gloss black, and likely putting a custom graphic along the same line as the other Downhill Division boards. They're all pinup girls. Since this one has the shape of Ginger, and the rocker/concave of Lacey, I've decided to name it "Gingy." I'm working on a fat and nasty red haired version of the Ginger pinup girl right now. It'll be the big, ugly sister to my Downhill Division "Annika."

:lol:

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
One of the key things in an intellectual property is to set yourself apart from the competition.

Like the competition for Transformers was Transmorphers. Notice in the image that there is not subltey in the difference. The appearance is completely different.

Same for the movies Battle of L.A. and Battle of Los Angeles. Two completely different movies with two very distinct names.

This is how you make your own brand identity and create your own intellectual property.

Lessons well learned from Sci Fi (SyFy) and your regular "meh, plain jane" movie studios.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nah, I didn't bring a camera. I was in a light blue shirt and jeans with either a black, or a silver helmet on.

On a side note, I'm nearly finished building my first full-on downhill boards. (Built a few others for practice, and shaped a few for other people) I like a shape that Sector 9 does on a really hard to get (and expensive) deck called the "Downhill Division Ginger." Eventually I'll get one from a buddy of mine that works at S9, but for the time being I decided to have some fun and make one without the drop:

Here it is just after I shaped it:

After a quick test ride it felt just a little bit flexy, so I decided to glass the top and bottom for some strength and rigidity. Here's how it turned out:

It's curing right now. Once it's done I'll be painting it semi-gloss black, and likely putting a custom graphic along the same line as the other Downhill Division boards. They're all pinup girls. Since this one has the shape of Ginger, and the rocker/concave of Lacey, I've decided to name it "Gingy." I'm working on a fat and nasty red haired version of the Ginger pinup girl right now. It'll be the big, ugly sister to my Downhill Division "Annika."

:lol:
What wood are you using? Using a press of some sort or a vacuum bag? How thick?

Like I said earlier...I used to build decks quite a bit. Mostly out of 1/8'' baltic birch using a toothless press, but we were just starting to consider using 1/16'' maple veneer and a vac bag.

Looks good...be sure to post the finish product!

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used 7 ply Baltic birch, and it was pressed. After that I had 4 layers of fiberglass put on, 2 on each side. Here's the finished product...now one of my favorite boards. I use it for everything at this point:

And the belly showing off the woven fiberglass:

Also

:D

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm making a longboard, mostly to walk the dog with because he's hyperactive and I'm fat and lazy. This is the board I'm making, I've only just cut it out so it's got to be filled, sanded, sealed, grip taped etc yet...

The question is what spec wheels and trucks should I get? I'm confused with all the sizes and 78a/80a stuff, cheers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts