Ford Focus Forum banner

[FJ] Official Guidelines are now posted online

2K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  tdot-zx3 
#1 ·
Please review them here.

The staff and moderators have developed these to help clear up any "gray areas" regarding posting on Focaljet. Most are simply common sense, please read and abide by them.

The guidelines will evolve over time, based on need.

Please feel free to ask for clairification on any guidelines in this thread.

Thanks,
Ron

[ 12-18-2002, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: wrcfan ]

#4 ·
Originally posted by wrcfan:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Halo:
Can we write out own delclaration of independence from those? =)

~Steve
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sure, here you go.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I didn't need to reply to this, but I saw that coming a quater mile away.

~Steve

#7 ·
Originally posted by tdot-zx3:
AHHH .. what happened to ..

DO NOT ask for money for personal reasons, we all dont care that you want us to pay for your stuff.

?!?!?!?????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That issue is being reviewed and very well may make it into the next version. I wanted to get these up before the end of the year as a starting point.

#10 ·
Hmm...I guess I'll try my best to follow these guidelines.

[ 12-18-2002, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Hi-Risk ]

#11 ·
i would like to see the some clear definitions between an "argument" and a "discussion" the GUDE TURBO thread could be seen as an argument but some useful information was attained and this has been the case in many other circumstances as well.

references to programs such as kazaa will get me a one week ban?
"No cross-posting (posting links in one FJ forum to a thread in another FJ forum). " does this mean i cant post any links in any thread that leads to another forum?
"Observe all copyright laws when posting material. NOTE: DO NOT post images that are copyrighted by Brenda Priddy & Company. If you use material from another web site, please give that site/person appropriate credit. "
does this mean i a should upgrade my bibliography skills to 5.0? give me a more clear example of this please.
"False/Extreme loading of our site or server is strictly prohibited.* "
not sure what this means. please define a little more clearly.

#12 ·
about the 'do not cross post' where you can't post a link to another focaljet thread... i find that helpful if i can't find someinformation and drew (FOK) or michealxi post the thread where it was contained.

#13 ·
Originally posted by demonfire:
about the 'do not cross post' where you can't post a link to another focaljet thread... i find that helpful if i can't find someinformation and drew (FOK) or michealxi post the thread where it was contained.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no thats ok, its just those people that start the same thread in multiple areas, or like a thread stating "go here http://www.focaljet.com/thread because more people will see it here"

stuff like that

pointing someone to another thread for information/clarification is perfectly fine, its just the "cross posting" thats the problem

#14 ·
Originally posted by zx3steve14:
i would like to see the some clear definitions between an "argument" and a "discussion" the GUDE TURBO thread could be seen as an argument but some useful information was attained and this has been the case in many other circumstances as well.

"No cross-posting (posting links in one FJ forum to a thread in another FJ forum). " does this mean i cant post any links in any thread that leads to another forum?
"Observe all copyright laws when posting material. NOTE: DO NOT post images that are copyrighted by Brenda Priddy & Company. If you use material from another web site, please give that site/person appropriate credit. "
does this mean i a should upgrade my bibliography skills to 5.0? give me a more clear example of this please.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ok, ill try my best on this one:

example: argument

joe: yo i just got the gude turbo and its awesome!

mac: STFU GUDE SUCKS ****! GET A REAL TURBO!

example: discussion

joe: yo i just go the gude turbo and its awesome!

mac: from my experiance the ______ turbo has shown me different curves and higher torque ... etc...

=======================================

Not necessairly, programs like Kazaa provide more than just illegal content (sorta), its not the P2P filesharing technology that is unlawful, just the illegality of acquiring copyrighted/liscensed material, like, talking how you just downloaded the newest version of Photoshop while listening to that new Metallica cd (
) and watching LotR-TT on VCD

===========================================

see above post by me

=============================================

if i acquire content to answer a question, or post a new thread with information, i always provide a source, for example, when someone asked a question about kregal exercises, i found some techniques and posted them, but i also included a link to the site where i foud it.

just state your sources, and give proper... uh, props!

=====================================

i'm not exactly sure everythin that this entails, but, dont be a script kiddie punk and try to call yourself a hacker and launch a DDoS attack on the servers to try to overload it

=================================================

i hope that helps! and anyone please correct me if i am wrong on anything

-Rob

#15 ·
WOW! sure is nice to get a straight answer once in awhile around here! thanks a lot man!

#16 ·
Originally posted by zx3steve14:
WOW! sure is nice to get a straight answer once in awhile around here! thanks a lot man!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
i try

#17 ·
I read the [FJ] Official Guidelines and agree to the terms and usage

Jim

#18 ·
Originally posted by demonfire:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I thought "cross posting" was like you post photos of your G2G in your section then you go to Team Rigs and post a link back to your section ?? To me thats "cross posting".

[ 12-18-2002, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: FlaFocus ]

#19 ·
Yup, that Gude thread was not an "argument". Sure, it got a little hot at times, but it never needed to be locked. It became a "heated debate" but I think what pushes things over the edge is when people start calling eachother names and such. That never happened in that thread.

Yes, the thread was heated, and there were direct attacks on products, but the attacks were mostly founded on data and facts.

If that type of discussion is not allowed, then this will become nothing but a "Happy Happy Joy Joy Forum" in which case it really would serve no useful function.

#20 ·
DO NOT use Focaljet.com copyrighted images without providing proper credit(s).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So if you use a pic or link to a pic that is copyrighted that has the focaljet.com logo, that is enough credit correct?? As long as the logo is not cropped.

OOPS I meant to hit quote and I hit edit. Anyway, your question is answered below.

In a word, yes. All I ask is that if you use an original image from the site is that you give a cred somehow. If the pic already has a logo then perfect. Otherwise just a link or blurb is fine.

I encourage people to use our images, it helps generate interest in the site from outside parties. The guideline is basically your standard, run-of-the-mill "don't rip my **** off" comment.

[ 12-18-2002, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: wrcfan ]

#21 ·
Hmmm... seems the whole "community standard" has been overlooked.

I don't disagree with anything in particular... but it seems that the position is "we don't like it so it won't happen." Which, I could say is by right of ownership. However, the mentioning of something pertaining to Kazaa getting a vacation? Come on now. That seems a little over the top. For Focaljet to deny its out there is insane, and irresponsible. Members carry their own liability in these issues. FJ is not running a file server which stored illicit material, and as such their hands are essentially clean. (and again, I use kazaa for legal purposes anyway... )

As for post-whoring resulting in a permaban.... could you define to what extent deserves that? I've posted something that might be considered "post-whorish" at times, because I find a thing I might comment on. The haze here, were it law, would render it unconstitutional (again, its your site, not ours... but still in the general interest in an open community).

Thats all I've got for now. Keep up the good work, and thanks for having us in!

#22 ·
BUR, i tried to clarify the KaZaA thing in my long post above

but about the "whoring", random excessive pointless posts does nothing but clog/clutter the board up, you know?

i think that one will be more of a case-by-case matter since there could be very legit reasons to post multiple threads in any certain area, but, there again, if someone is just bored and makes 20 threads.... they NEED a vacation, and go outside or something!

<edit>
and of course, this is how i am interpreting the rules, if i am incorrect someone chime in

</edit>

[ 12-18-2002, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: SaTaNcLaUz ]

#23 ·
Originally posted by BUR_ZX3:
As for post-whoring resulting in a permaban.... could you define to what extent deserves that? I've posted something that might be considered "post-whorish" at times, because I find a thing I might comment on. The haze here, were it law, would render it unconstitutional (again, its your site, not ours... but still in the general interest in an open community).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But do you do this all the time? By your statement above, you seem that in a few ocations you've done it, like youd say "because I find a thing I might comment on". But if you do it all the time with out really contributing anything to any threads, then that's when it's just nonsense.

Any clearer?

#24 ·
But the wording is so vague that the "subject to the interpretation of FJ staff" is wide open. I'm not asking for a definitive "post 3 threads in 5 minutes that are pointless and ye shall be banned" but I'm saying that its vague and can be abused.

Actually my point would be to try and prevent anybody from being able to cry "moderator abuse." I don't care if Mods/Admins shut something down, but I don't like hearing a grumble among us minions about how crappy the mods are treating people. True or false... it lowers morale, and ultimately can be the demise of the site. In a way I'm lookin out for the total team.

#25 ·
ok, how bout as an example: (just using you as an example JMcQueen
)

JMcQueen posted a few threads in a row (or within an hour or so) for different computer problems in OT, "I" think that was justified. even more-so when the subjects/threads describe the specific problem, then you dont have a single thread with 8 questions inside of it and it can get very hard to read!

but, a while back, there was someone who started about 6 threads in rapid succession that were "Whats your favorite _____" and that was out of line if you ask me, if you are going to ask those questions, spread them out!

also, if some newbie (or vet) is posting a single word in a post just to kick up their count, or just causing a rukus, that is abusing it.

thats where the "up to interpretation by FJ staff comes in"

nome sane?

[ 12-18-2002, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: SaTaNcLaUz ]

#26 ·
SaTaNcLaUz pretty much covered most of the questions.

Just remember, these "rules" are not new. This is basically how the board has been run since day one.

It's just that with newbies and the occasional member that doesn't know... it gives a everyone a common "interface".

People have bugged me forever to put it in writing so that at least everyone knows what is expected... so there it is.

[ 12-18-2002, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: wrcfan ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.