Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I finally got around to installing the fk 35/40 kit on my svt focus and was alarmed about how far the front dropped. The SVT focus is about 3/4 inch to 1 inch lower than the reg focus and this kit dropped the front another inch. Now I am wondering if I got the wrong front springs. I look at all the pics on this and other forums and my drop looks identical to the pics of the 60/40 kit. Can some one with the 60/40 kit help me out with some empirical evidence and take some measurements from the center of their wheels to the lip of the fender. Here are my measurements taken on a flat area with a full tank of gas.

-----------Before ------- After
front -------14"-----------13"
rear --------14 .5"--------14"

Now I am getting some slight rubbing on sharp right hand turns taken at speed with small dips or bumps on them
. It is rubbing the fender liner. If it had dropped it the advertised amount of 35mm, I am sure I would not get any rubbing. The ride is great only a little firmer than the svt setup.

front after

rear after

side after

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Get the number that is printed on the front springs. Compare that to another 35/40 owner who doesn't have as low a drop in the front and you should be able to find out if you have the right springs. Or you could just phone FK and ask them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the FK 35/40 kit and my car looks the same. It's kinda hard to tell from your pics (black car black tires) how much gap you have but I'm pretty sure.

Did you install them yourself??? Did you need a spring compressor to get the front springs on the dampers? The 60mm drop springs aren't compressed at all when installed. The 40mm drop can be put on with your hands as well but are under slight compression.

I'm not sure if there is a part# on the springs but see if you can find one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
mine looks the same. also note that the 35mm/40mm drop is based on a stock zx3, not the svt. so it's 35mm lower than the zx3. the fact that the svt is lower to begin with actually has nothing to do with it. i haven't had any rubbing issues, but on a tire size calculator, the svt rims and tires are like 1.2% larger in diameter than the 16" stock rims on a zx3. don't know if that's enough of a difference to make it rub.

oh and a 2nd note... the 60/40 drop puts the tires up into the wheel wells from the angle you've taken your pictures

-greg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I measured the zx3 stock ride height from the center of the wheel to the fender lip and it is 14.75”. The kit dropped my car down to 13’ that is a 1.75” drop. The advertised drop of 35mm is 1.38” which means this kit dropped my car another 0.4”, that is almost another 1/2inch. The ride height is hard to tell from pics and that is why I am asking for some measurements because the pics I have seen of 60/40 kit look to be the same ride height as mine. If other people have some measurements of their 35/40 kit it would be interesting to see what your measurements come out as. Maybe my springs are just lower than everyone else. If u measure from the center of the wheel it eliminates tire/wheel size as a variable. My fender gap on the front is 1 finger but I do not like this means of measurement because it depends on your tire/wheel size. So if everyone lists their measurements we can see if this fk kit is lower than they advertise. It may be a bonus to some people but for me I specifically chose a 35mm to prevent the rubbing issue.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Think you have it weird? I had the Progress 1.8" springs on my car for almost 2 years. They settled to a little over 2" drop and I NEVER had any rubbing. After I installed my 35/40 FK kit, the front rubs al lthe damn time. Hard turns, bumps, dips, all of it. Its rather annoying. Oh well. I still love the way it handles now. DAMN THE RUBBING!!!!! I'll just cut out the fender liners when I get the chance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
toby, y did u wanna RAISE the car?? does it look higher now?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I get the rubbing only when I am going really fast into a hard right hander with some dips in it. It is a shame because if it were not for this rubbing I would of been extremly happy and would of rated this kit a 5 stars out 5. As it is now I can only rate it 3.75 stars. The ride is smooth and firm and not bumpy. About 10% firmer than my svt and it handles about 20% better. Corners flat and just keeps gripping more and more in the corners
. Only now I cant go into corners to hard as I am afraid of the rubbing.
If I can find a good front spring that would gain me about 1/2 an inch and is the same spring rate as the fk's I would not hesitate to get them. It is a shame, FK is a 1/2inch away from having the perfect street/auto x set up.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I too have noticed the same thing. My 35/40 kit is lower than stated. Though i really have no complaints. have the 16's and can squeeze two fingers between the fender and the tire. i was plannin 17's but now Im not so sure they'll fit.
I may just get a set of light weight 16's.
Perhaps a suggestion for your problem XRFord...get some new tires that are 215/40. They'fir and not rub at all.

·
Registered
460 Posts
215/40/17's and O.Z. Superleggras no rubbing at all with the 35/40 kit and Anti-sway bars. I love it both on the street and the track.

I took a driving school and one of the instructors who drove a BMW M3 took my car for a spin and complimented me on how great my car was around the turns.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
toby, y did u wanna RAISE the car?? does it look higher now?
Its not about looks to me. I wanted something that handled better. And believe me, this setup is SO MUCH better than the stock dampers with the Progress springs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
so the FK springs r alot stiffer than the progress? what about the height, r the 1.4/1.6 FK's higher, lower, or the same as the 1.8/1.8 progress's?? i don't understand y they would make the car rub now, unless they were alot lower, or u changed wheel offset...

·
Banned
613 Posts
personally i dont think its low enough... just from looks theres still a gap there.. i like seein the RIMS tuckin up in the fenderwells much less the tires... obviously that isnt good for handling..but it looks cool as hell...anyways i had what was supposed to be a 1.8 inch drop with eibach sportlines on my old 97 neon.. settled to over 2.75 inches of drop
... rode harsh as hell... and i loved every minute of it.. i could take 15 mph corners at 90 if i wanted to(yes yes i know speedings bad) but personally id just cut the well liner and be done with the rubbing and be totally satisfied with the purchase u made.... just my $.02

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just to clarify things, the 35/40 kit is 35mm to 40mm drop all around. The 60/40 kit is 60mm front & 40mm rear. I got this info. directly from FK.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Just to clarify things, the 35/40 kit is 35mm to 40mm drop all around. The 60/40 kit is 60mm front & 40mm rear. I got this info. directly from FK.
than FK should advertise it as 35-40mm and not 35/40mm. for a german manufacturer it is very wiered that they claim that, since in germany drops are marketed and advertised as (a)/(b) (a being the front drop, and b being the rear drop). So why woudl they do it different over here..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts