Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may sound like a really stupid question but since most of this is brand new to me I'll ask anyway:
If a shorty header bolts onto the Catalytic converter and the exhaust is from the Catalytic converter back, where does a Flex pipe fit in? Are Flex pipes only for race headers? If the flex pipe goes from the Cat to the Cat-Back, why don't more people have it installed when they get the Cat-Back installed? I'm really curious to this as I plan on keeping my stock Cat for emissions purposes but at the same time I want to make my car a little more responsive and fun to drive. Plus I don't want all the noise a race header gives, just some of it

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The flexpipe goes "behind" the cat and "in front" of the so-called cat back system--a bit of a misnomer. With a shorty header and a "cat-back", the stock flexpipe and the cat are gonna be the bottlenecks in the system. My exhaust is still stock, so I dont know--other than what I read here--what gains to expect from doing the full exhasut switchover. Lets hear from those who have!

Cheers---

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
my FS Flexpipe was a great addition 2 my bosal and off road pipe. granted i dont have a shorty, yet still the flexpipe is a real bottleneck. 2 date, oddly enuff, i consider it my best mod per dollar. get ur cat-back 1st, if u can get a FP when u do...great...if not...get it next. then decide 4 urself what header solution u want.

granted doin all this exh work...do urself a favor and do some type of intake (a CAI of some sort) 2 supplement the exhaust work. 4 my money its still 2 early 2 do a TB (i had 1, returned it, only helped throttle response+240 bux, no way). u could do a MAF w/that intake the help the 'in' part of ur solution.

after u've accomplished this, it'll b time 2 throw a udp on and get some cam gears. then give what ur stock cams need very badly (worse in some cases), a cam tuning. make sure 2 get ur exh/int done 2 where u want it and c what u get. u can get it tuned again later of course, if u do a 'stage 2' of sorts of modding.

i have people i know who have only an intake and cat-back, cam gears tuned and gettin 120-25whp/125lb-ft. hell i only have 111-112whp b/c i've put off cam gears as long as possible.

good luck, questions welcome,

-Ult

[ 09-24-2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
85 Posts
What I would like to know is there any advatage to just do a flexpipe and catback? No new header.
Or would it be better to get the new flexpipe, highflow cat,and catback...still with stock header?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Slide:
What I would like to know is there any advatage to just do a flexpipe and catback? No new header.
Or would it be better to get the new flexpipe, highflow cat,and catback...still with stock header?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The more you do, the better, but currently, I only have a FS Flex-Pipe and my Bosal catback, and I could definitely appreciate some gains.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I'll do the flex pipe and exhaust at the same time to save on some labor. I'll do an intake then also and if I have a lot of money or find a great deal, do the header at another time. Thanks again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You would really notice the high flow cat,flex and catback, thats what I have. If you dont care about emisions get a race header, then you'll really notice the gains. Of course you cant just stop there though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wonder if anyone puts together a total exhaust package, something like the Eibach Pro Kit plus ( springs, shocks, struts, anti-sway bars )... I'm already a Bosal FP and Cat-backer, and will no doubt jump on the hi flow cat... but does any Focus parts supplier sell a system from header on back? just curious...

·
Registered
481 Posts
New_ZTS_Guy,
This might help, it from the myFordFocus.com How-To Library article at http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/cat-back.htm

tgrcub,
I'm sure any of the aftermarket retailers would be happy to give customers a discount of some sort if the customer were to buy all the parts from them at once. It's just a matter of them either advertising some sort of combo deal or the customer asking. Most the time though people buy in peices just as a matter of economics.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i just said phukit! and got the steeda tri-Y race header flexpipe and magnaflo exhaust...its loud...but if my baby can sleep thru it its ok with me...also when i got pulled over 2 nights ago for speeding the cop said nothing about the noise. at idle you can't tell its a race header.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks for posting that diagram and all of the info guys. I'm gonna make a new exhaust system my Christmas present to myself and just do it all at once.
Thanks again for all the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts