Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't already know new florida law says that ANY EXHAUST THAT IS NOT STOCK is Illegal. State trooper pulled me over tonight driving on Lake Underhill rd and gave me a 75 dollar ticket. According to him if I silence it I "might" be able to not have to pay the ticket but its not a given. Otherwise I don't know what the next step will be. So basically Watch Out. Hopefully he was just giving me crap for having loud exhaust which I knew needed fixing but just a forewarning.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Your cop needs to freshen up on the law. It doesn't say "ANY EXHAUST THAT IS NOT STOCK" is illegal, it's just not supposed to be louder (within reason) than what came on it from the factory, as long at the smog equipment is in tact. If what he said is true, then every muffler shop in the state would go out of business since none of them sell factory stock exhaust components, yeah they do sell stock equivilent, but they're not stock. They should crack down on Harley's if they want to enforce the decible law. How many of these HD's running around have a stock system on them, and how many of them are as quiet as stock. I'm not slamming HD's as I love em too, but the exhaust law's are supposed to apply equally accross the board for ALL motor vehicles.

·
Registered
217 Posts
that trooper doesn't know what he's talking about. There's no new law outlawing exhaust systems... they may have a new noise ordinance in that area, but unless you are running open pipes or something, you can't be louder than the 'legal' Harleys and Hemi's running around..

you are just getting picked on cause that particular cop doesn't like the way your sounds

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Thats funny, because ive driven with a cop riding my ass and no matter how light i am on the gas my car is still pretty loud, and he just went around me.

Also I used to have a race header into a straight exhaust with a can on the end, talk about LOUD. No one ever gave me trouble for that.

·
Registered
852 Posts
SilverZXIII said:
Thats funny, because ive driven with a cop riding my ass and no matter how light i am on the gas my car is still pretty loud, and he just went around me.

Also I used to have a race header into a straight exhaust with a can on the end, talk about LOUD. No one ever gave me trouble for that.
Ya,I know what you mean.I had the exact same setup on my car up in NJ,and it
was So Loud it was making my ears ring when I got out of the car.LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yea, I think that cop was just trying to be a dick. My car gets pretty loud at 9K rpms. This one time I was merging onto 95 South and was redlining it. My friend points out this cop going North just staring out his window wondering what the hell was happening. It was hilarious.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Florida Statutes say...
316.272 (1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(13) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

Another one...
316.293 (5)(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

Nothing about not modifying the exhaust at all, just not supposed to make it any louder than stock, or not exceeding the allowable noise limit (35 MPH or less, no louder than 72 dB A; over 35 MPH, no louder than 79 dB A - also from 316.293).

·
Registered
146 Posts
BillyBadAss said:
Florida Statutes say...
316.272 (1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(13) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

Another one...
316.293 (5)(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

Nothing about not modifying the exhaust at all, just not supposed to make it any louder than stock, or not exceeding the allowable noise limit (35 MPH or less, no louder than 72 dB A; over 35 MPH, no louder than 79 dB A - also from 316.293).
Thanks for clearing that one up for us

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
So, it sounds to me like anyone that gets an exhaust ticket should take it in front of a judge and ask for the decibal meter reading evidence, and calibration records of said device.

The judge will have no choice but to toss the case right the **** out because local cops do not yet cruise around with decibal meters like they do with window tint thingys.

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
why don't you guys just cut to the chase and stop dicking around. you want loud? take off your headers, poke a hole in em', let your muffler drag. now that's cool at 6-9am or any time of the day

whhoooooo!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
MrPotatoes said:
why don't you guys just cut to the chase and stop dicking around. you want loud? take off your headers, poke a hole in em', let your muffler drag. now that's cool at 6-9am or any time of the day

whhoooooo!!!!!!!!!
Wanna hear a sad one.I drilled holes in the rear of the muffler on one of my
old Mustangs when I was young.Cheap Noise Pollution.LOL.Next they'll be giving
tickets for a loud BOV.Oh,I fotgot,my Foci wasn't supposed to have a Turbo.Another ticket?LOL

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
KonaZXIII said:
So, it sounds to me like anyone that gets an exhaust ticket should take it in front of a judge and ask for the decibal meter reading evidence, and calibration records of said device.

The judge will have no choice but to toss the case right the **** out because local cops do not yet cruise around with decibal meters like they do with window tint thingys.
Like I said in my earlier post, it's about noise, not mods unless of course you screw with the smog equipment or change the outlet location.

But I'll bet if someone went to court to fight a noisey exhaust ticket the judge will side with the cop. I say this because as far as noisy exhaust goes it's a judgement call based on the cops opinion (since they don't have meters). The judge would most likely tell you to have it checked at your expense and bring in the proof that it's not above the what's allowable by statute, then it would be thrown out of court.

The easiest way out of a ticket for loud exhaust is be noce and kiss a little booty, since it is something based on the cops opinion his opinion is more likely to be swayed in your favor is he thinks your a pretty alright person.

Not in all cases, but in my lifetime I would say that 95% of the people I know of who have gotten tickets like noisey exhaust, dark tint (before meters), or anything that's based on the grey area (judgement calls by the cop) were earned as a result of the attitude of the person getting stopped. A state trouper I used to work with said they call those "attitude improvement tickets"...LOL

After saying that I'm sure that most of you who have gotten tickets for these BS infractions are now going to flame me and say.....I didn't act in any way that would increase my chances of getting that ticket, the cop was just a dick.....It's pretty hard to admit you caused your own fate isn't it... -Dan

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ya I got a ticket 2 weeks ago coming home from work by a Orange county sheriff. I wasnt speeding, I was nice,dressed in a suit and tie and still got a ticket.

The officer wrote "Modified Exhaust..Very Loud" Ya...thats true,its loud and it sounds good.

He did say that they are cracking down. Whatever..Im only keeping this car till the new MazdaSpeed 3 comes out. My $$ is willing and waiting.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully putting another resonator on and going to one of the local police stations will get the ticket thrown out as he said that might work. Otherwise give me the ticket and blast away altho he said the next time the ticket may be even more.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
heathsS2FOCUS said:
Ya I got a ticket 2 weeks ago coming home from work by a Orange county sheriff. I wasnt speeding, I was nice,dressed in a suit and tie and still got a ticket.

The officer wrote "Modified Exhaust..Very Loud" Ya...thats true,its loud and it sounds good.

He did say that they are cracking down. Whatever..Im only keeping this car till the new MazdaSpeed 3 comes out. My $$ is willing and waiting.
Yeah, and if your attitude paid off you didn't get ticketed.....right?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had a great attitude whenever I met a officer...They have a GUN.
He was actually a very nice. It was all business to him. And I wasnt about to start a debate with him that time of the morning(around 2:00am) about his reasons for giving me a ticket. I just said "No problem,Have a safe night".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts