Ford Focus Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
dan-d said:
Your cop needs to freshen up on the law. It doesn't say "ANY EXHAUST THAT IS NOT STOCK" is illegal, it's just not supposed to be louder (within reason) than what came on it from the factory, as long at the smog equipment is in tact. If what he said is true, then every muffler shop in the state would go out of business since none of them sell factory stock exhaust components, yeah they do sell stock equivilent, but they're not stock. They should crack down on Harley's if they want to enforce the decible law. How many of these HD's running around have a stock system on them, and how many of them are as quiet as stock. I'm not slamming HD's as I love em too, but the exhaust law's are supposed to apply equally accross the board for ALL motor vehicles.
Actually the cop is right. I got the same ticket in the same area by a State Trooper. I called SEMA and all kinds of stuff. The law states that anything other than factory is illegal. This means that muffler shops do illegal work.:dunno:
I found the website but don't feel like reading all the way through and can't remember what section it's under. My ticket basically had nothing to do with noise or anything. Just tampering with exhaust. My ticket was only $40 though.:D

·
Registered
753 Posts
My ticket was $74.00. But I totally agree with Danny that they should then ticket all vehicles including Harleys,etc. Its gotta be one way or the other. But I've had the exhaust for about 7months and this was the first and hopefully the last.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
heathsS2FOCUS said:
My ticket was $74.00. But I totally agree with Danny that they should then ticket all vehicles including Harleys,etc. Its gotta be one way or the other. But I've had the exhaust for about 7months and this was the first and hopefully the last.
I agree also. State Troopers must have something to prove. The guy was totally a dick to me. I'll continue to pay the fines and not go back to stock.

·
Registered
252 Posts
doogie78 said:
The law states that anything other than factory is illegal.

I'd like to see that law. The Florida Statutes (posted above) don't say you can't modify the exhaust at all, just that the end result can't be any louder than stock. Of course, in a different section of the statutes, it also says the exhaust can't exceed whatever amount Environmental Protection and the DHSMV determine (the amount is also posted, though there are different standards for different vehicle types - the ones posted are relevant to most of us here, the others are for scooters and vehicles over 10,000 pounds).

Just out of curiosity I decided to read through some Orlando city codes and the only thing I found there with any relevance to noise levels says that automobiles are excluded from that particular code.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
BillyBadAss said:
I'd like to see that law. The Florida Statutes (posted above) don't say you can't modify the exhaust at all, just that the end result can't be any louder than stock. Of course, in a different section of the statutes, it also says the exhaust can't exceed whatever amount Environmental Protection and the DHSMV determine (the amount is also posted, though there are different standards for different vehicle types - the ones posted are relevant to most of us here, the others are for scooters and vehicles over 10,000 pounds).

Just out of curiosity I decided to read through some Orlando city codes and the only thing I found there with any relevance to noise levels says that automobiles are excluded from that particular code.
I wish I could argue you on that but I don't give a **** enough to take 10 minutes out of my life to read. Just trust me on this one. I posted this like 2 years ago when I got my ticket.:p

·
Registered
852 Posts
doogie78 said:
I agree also. State Troopers must have something to prove. The guy was totally a dick to me. I'll continue to pay the fines and not go back to stock.
State Troopers.No offense,but the trooper that lives next to me is a dick and weird.He left sheets of plywood up over his windows from the big hurricane of
2 or 3 years ago,until just recently.He also beats his dog.Tough Guy.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
doogie78 said:
I wish I could argue you on that but I don't give a **** enough to take 10 minutes out of my life to read. Just trust me on this one. I posted this like 2 years ago when I got my ticket.:p
Yeah, but your a dick and I'd give you a ticket just for fun...:lol: :p :p

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The reality is that a cop can give you a ticket if in his / her opinion the car is too loud. It's then on your dime to prove it's within the law. Unfortunately the Florida laws on noise is one thing, then each municipality, township, city, ect., ect., ect., can add what ever they want using statutes, ordinances or what ever. But the bottom line is that it's still a judgement call for the cop, kissing his / her butt can change a ticket to a warning. I still don't understand why a loud car is singled out in a row of even louder motorcycles. Do ya think it might be because generally speaking, the car is driven by a young person with a bad attitude, and the Harley is ridden by an older guy with better respect (of course he's stoned). But it's perception people....not fairness.

OK, let's take two motorcycles cruising on the freeway at neck breaking speeds and a trooper pulls them over. He goes over to the Harley guy and the guy says "Hey man, I just wanted to show this kid that Harley's can still rock....peace" .... Then the guy on the crotch rocket says "I just had to show that old fart what it's all about... *******" (under his breath). guess who got the ticket?....attitude.....This isn't fiction, I know both parties in this scenario and both are really great people but they didn't know each other untill this happened. It's a couple good friends I know in Spokane who have now become great friends. And guess what, there was only 4 years seperating them in age.....LOL

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
dan-d said:
Yeah, but your a dick and I'd give you a ticket just for fun...:lol: :p :p
I'd give you a ticket for simply impersonating a Mexican:p An awefully ugly one at that!

·
Registered
252 Posts
doogie78 said:

Well, I didn't find it, and I browsed through posts from you going back to 2003. I didn't actually read them all, mainly looked at thread titles.

Anyway, I asked the FHP if it is legal to modify a vehicle's exhaust, assuming you obey the Florida statutes (mentioned above) and any federal laws about emissions equipment. Their reply was...

Mr. Dawson:

Your information is accurate. We are providing you with a website for Florida State Statutes. Scroll down to Title XXIII, Motor Vehicles and then select Chapter 316. You may review specific statutes.

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm

Sincerely,

Florida Highway Patrol
Office of Public Affairs
Telephone: (850) 617-2301
FAX: (850) 414-2998
Email: www.fhp.state.fl.us
I have no idea why they tell me I'm right, then tell me where I can find the statutes that I specifically mentioned in my email to them, but that was their response.

So, according to the FHP, it is legal to modify the exhaust as long as you keep it within the the limits of the statutes and federal laws.

I also asked about any local laws for the Orlando area, but they didn't say anything on that. I'll ask someone else. The husband of one of the lades I work with is a motor officer with the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
BillyBadAss said:
Well, I didn't find it, and I browsed through posts from you going back to 2003. I didn't actually read them all, mainly looked at thread titles.

Anyway, I asked the FHP if it is legal to modify a vehicle's exhaust, assuming you obey the Florida statutes (mentioned above) and any federal laws about emissions equipment. Their reply was...

I have no idea why they tell me I'm right, then tell me where I can find the statutes that I specifically mentioned in my email to them, but that was their response.

So, according to the FHP, it is legal to modify the exhaust as long as you keep it within the the limits of the statutes and federal laws.

I also asked about any local laws for the Orlando area, but they didn't say anything on that. I'll ask someone else. The husband of one of the lades I work with is a motor officer with the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
You still crying about this thread? I already forgot about it.:lol: :p

·
Registered
252 Posts
doogie78 said:
you don't appreciate me. :(

Actually, I'm just trying to make sure people have the correct information. Go spread your lies elsewhere. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your cop needs to freshen up on the law. It doesn't say "ANY EXHAUST THAT IS NOT STOCK" is illegal, it's just not supposed to be louder (within reason) than what came on it from the factory, as long at the smog equipment is in tact. If what he said is true, then every muffler shop in the state would go out of business since none of them sell factory stock exhaust components, yeah they do sell stock equivilent, but they're not stock. They should crack down on Harley's if they want to enforce the decible law. How many of these HD's running around have a stock system on them, and how many of them are as quiet as stock. I'm not slamming HD's as I love em too, but the exhaust law's are supposed to apply equally accross the board for ALL motor vehicles.
You're totally right that the Harley Davidson's that have modified exhaust need ticketed. But you're wrong on the reasonable sound theory. Look up Florida statute 216.293 that states "it's illegal to modify any exhaust that the noise exceeds the originally manufactured exhaust." Which otherwise means, you can put different exhaust on, but the sound can't exceed the originally manufactured exhaust. I for one am sick and tired of hearing these illegal exhausts in Orlando. Follow the laws set forth by the state of Florida. If you like loud exhaust, then go to the dragstrip or a racetrack. I'm a huge fan of racing in all forms. I love the sound of a roaring engine, but not on the roads, where there are laws to prevent such noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're totally right that the Harley Davidson's that have modified exhaust need ticketed. But you're wrong on the reasonable sound theory. Look up Florida statute 216.293 that states "it's illegal to modify any exhaust that the noise exceeds the originally manufactured exhaust." Which otherwise means, you can put different exhaust on, but the sound can't exceed the originally manufactured exhaust. I for one am sick and tired of hearing these illegal exhausts in Orlando. Follow the laws set forth by the state of Florida. If you like loud exhaust, then go to the dragstrip or a racetrack. I'm a huge fan of racing in all forms. I love the sound of a roaring engine, but not on the roads, where there are laws to prevent such noise.
Actually it's statute 316.293.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look up Florida Statute 316.293. You can't modify an exhaust system where the noise exceeds the originally manufactured exhaust. Bottom line is, there would be no reason to modify an exhaust, unless you what a different look. But you can't exceed the original manufacturer's exhaust noise level.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts