Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summit Racing is selling the new American Thunder Series Cat-Back system by Flowmaster (part # flo17343) for $215. It uses a 50 series muffler and a 3.5" stainless tip. Has anyone either tried or heard one of these yet??

·
Registered
431 Posts
Aluminized steel?
For not too much more you can get a full stainless system from Magnaflow.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
2" Diameter? I don't know what the stock diameter is, but I have to believe that a 2" is going to restrict the performance gains a bit.

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts
The performance gains from a CAT-back are small anyway. Get whatever suits your tastes and your wallet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by belacyrf:
2" Diameter? I don't know what the stock diameter is, but I have to believe that a 2" is going to restrict the performance gains a bit.<hr></blockquote>

The stock size is 1 7/8". This is a quote from the magnaflow website: "It is better to use a smaller diameter mandrel bent pipe than a larger crush bent pipe. Remember that maintaining velocity is just as important as reducing backpressure.

PIPE DIAMETER GUIDELINES
Some basic exhaust pipe diameter guidelines for non-turbo cars are as follows:
1,500cc-2,000cc engines : 2-inch
2,100cc-2,500cc engines : 2.25-inch
2,600cc-3,000cc engines : 2.5-inch"
Heres the URL to the full article: http://www.magnaflow.com/05magazine/05sportc.htm

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts
Hey Buggy, I responded last time you posted about an inexpensive Cat-back saying spend the dough for something like the YoDude in 2 1/4. Then some jetters were posting about all this and Naz said his HKS is small pipe and it's one of the pricey ones. So after checking around some more, I've changed my mind. Also, as stated before the gains aren't that big to start with, 6hp to maybe 8hp. So maybe you get a less efficient one and only get 4hp to 6hp, not much of a difference. So get what you like.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ordered the Flowmaster today. I currently have the Borla. I will compare both of them and post the results. I have an 02 ZX3 with 4000 mi on it. My only mod is a ITG drop in filter.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a 2.5 pipe cat back with the 50 series muffler..LOUD and Raspy.!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed the Flowmaster system this morning, very eazy.I was using a Borla up until now. The Flowmaster is working like I thought it would. Its alot quieter than the Borla and still has a nice burble. Its has a low note at idle like the borla.Its really quiet inside and while driving freeway speeds only slightly louder than stock. The fit was perfect. The tip is a little smaller than the Borla. Power feels good through the entire RPM range. Low end is strong and better than the Borla. Im keeping the Flowmaster and selling the Borla.

·
Registered
431 Posts
bugshack, if you are indeed selling your Borla I may be interested. How much are you looking to get?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am selling the Borla. It has a resonator added to the front section so it is a bit quieter. It has 3000 mi on it and looks like new. Im going to try and sell it locally at first.Anyone living in the Rosegurg/ Eugene Oregon area can have it installed in my shop, no charge. I want to get $300 for it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That's understandable, it would save you the hassle of shipping. Well, if no one near you jumps on it I'm sure you could get a buyer in the classifieds section, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts