Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flywheel/ Clutch Install ?\'s

I'm having a hell of a time finding ppls who have actually done this themselves. I know there are many on here that have them, I have a hard time believing everyone's paid someone else to do it. I've seen plenty of arguements about clutches and flywheels, but that's not what I need. I got a flywheel for xmas, I'm buying a clutch next week. Putting it in myself. Need insight. Is there a walkthru anywhere on the web? I have a haynes manual on the way, does it get into any of this info? I've read somewhere that someone did it still in the car by splitting the engine/tranny and wedging them apart. Can this be done or does it all need to comeout? I'm not afraid of the work, I'm sure I can do it, Id just feel considerably better if I heard from some who have gone before me. Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks doods

g

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: Flywheel/ Clutch Install ?\'s

Yes me too, I'm doing this install myself in about two weeks any insight would help thanks.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts

if you dont have a lift it will be harder work

drop the K member and the rack then its right there and will come out ,with a little work

take out the battery and the box will open up the top and make things easier to get to

if you have not done it before it will be a 2 day job and lots of work

tom

·
Registered
578 Posts

This is no easy task, IMHO. I just did a tranny rebuild to include gear ratio changes, Torson differential install, and a new clutch and flywheel. If you haven't done this before, you may want to pay somebody to do it. You need to properly align the clutch during the install. Do you know how to do this? Do you have the right tools?

If you decide to proceed anyway, you'll need to get the car off the floor so you can work under it. I believe 6 bolts drop the K frame. You will need to move this out of your way.

Because I pulled the tranny, I removed the halfshafts and I'd guess you may need to remove at least the right side (this one comes out the easiest) You have to move the tranny several inches away from the block to get the shaft out so you will likely also need to disconnect the driveline from the suspension on the left side.

The tranny has close to 16 (approximately) bolts for the bell housing to the block and not all of them are the same. The 3 on top differ from the rest so remember which came from what location.

Some change the throw out bearing with the new clutches, but I didn't. I had no problems, but you need to decide that based on how many miles you have on the car and the condition it is in.

Having a manual will help. If you are using wrenches, you'll need somebody to help hold the flywheel while you torque the bolts. I used a pry bar and a block to hold the flywheel.

Good luck. This isn't an easy job!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm pretty sure I can handle it now. I've done a lot of clutches in the past. This is pretty much the same, just different way of getting to it. My new clutch comes with a new t.o. bearing and a clutch alignment tool, very helpful from my experience. I'll wait on my manual to make sure it still sounds like something I want to tackle. My flywheel showed up today, I'll be getting my clutch in the next few weeks. I'll keep y'all posted. If I can't find a walkthru online, I'll probably do one for future ppls who are silly enough to try it like me. Thanks again, later doods

g

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the hepp everyone, Specially Tom. Scotty said he was "advised" this morning on the phone. I'm sure we can do this thang now. If anyone's interested, we're gonna try to do a photo walkthru to post up for future reference. Off to the races, wish me luck. Later doods

g

·
Registered
403 Posts

I had noresull do the install on a clutch and Quaiffe LSD on my car.
Make sure you set aside a full day if not more just to be safe.

Here are a couple pics of mine:

flying car....

something's missing....

something's definitely missing....

tranny cracked open on the floor

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

A buddy of mine said he'd do it for $345, so all previous ?'s have been answered. I'll be there snappin photos for a walkthru. Thanks for all the advice doods

g

1 - 8 of 8 Posts