Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a sweet idea. Whats say a person takes the factory FM antenna OFF, and mounts their XM antenna in its place. Now here's the catch. Even though I've never listened to the radio in my car EVER, i might need to at some point (to find out if I'm about to drive into a tornado or something). has anyone mounted their FM antenna hidden somewhere on the car? Is it still possible to get halway decent reception?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I did this to my car, i have the factory wire still in the roof but it doesnt work so well. Who needs FM anymore anyways!?

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
I think they make one that fits under your headliner.
really? I thought they need a direct line of sight to the sky, can't have metal above them. could be wrong tho

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who needs FM anymore anyways!?
well, like I said, I listened to FM radio like once in the past 4 years, and only for weather if I see some scary stuff going down

·
Registered
434 Posts
they have universal antennas that stick to the inside of your windshield. Pretty stealth, too. A guy on FF.com did what you suggested, put the xm antenna in the stock fm antenna area and then relocated the fm antenna to the windshield.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think they make one that fits under your headliner.
really? I thought they need a direct line of sight to the sky, can't have metal above them. could be wrong tho
I beleive he is talkin about putting the FM antenna under the headliner

Satalite radio does require line of site

And yeah you can just leave your stock one up in there, reception will suffer a bit, but who cares?

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I beleive he is talkin about putting the FM antenna under the headliner
yeah, i just wanna shove the FM antenna under the headliner, but was wondering how worse reception would be. And XM doesn't necessairily need line of sight, it just can't go through metal

·
Registered
364 Posts
i have my XM antenna stuck on the back of my rear view mirror and i get full signal all the time. another option for you, if you cant get the fm relocation to work

1 - 14 of 14 Posts