Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foci Exhaust...Where\'s the PROOF?

Everyone...I'm looking for a new cat-back for Mandi's (svt_grrl) ZTS and would like to see some proven results of all the exhaust manufacturers out there (if there are any). Does anyone have any dyno graphs or some solid numbers of what an exhaust for our Foci will do? I used to have the Borla on my sedan (before I traded it in) and loved the sound, but the power gain was barely existent (dyno'd at minimal gain with an IceMan and UDP).

So, the question is, which is the Focus' best performer? Not best sounder, not best looking...best performer.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Re: Foci Exhaust...Where\'s the PROOF?

I have no idea if this is the best performer, but here's the dyno of the focussport aluminazed exhaust. Their NewFormz stainless exhaust (which they do not have a dyno for) would definately perform better, but you might get a few fixit tickets.

Edit: Nazthug dynoed 3.5 hp from his HKS Hyper Exhaust

[ 10-25-2002, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: RainyZX3 ]

·
Registered
294 Posts

Exhausts are all the mostly the same. Granted they are all well made (non louvred cores) they will all make about 3-4HP more than stock. Pick your exhaust based mostly on quality and reputation (not just focal jet reputation either
) and sound too. A quality exhaust will fit well, be easy to install, look solid, and last for many years. Plus those big brands like to make them sound cool too, go with the proven brands

·
Registered
159 Posts

Thank you both for your input - Matt and I are trying to decide which option we like best.

I liked the Borla he had on his car - I thought it was quiet enough from the inside, but loud enough that you knew it was there. It had a deeper note that didn't sound "fart can" - like.

There are a few he likes a little better, but we wanted to get everyone's input and try to gather as much info as we could.

I had a Bassani on my '01 GT, and I LOVED it - but I'm not sure if I want to go with something that loud... I got tired of my girlfriends complaining about headaches when they got out.
I know Bassani has a Focus exhaust now - I'll have to call them up and see if they have some more info for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Originally posted by svt_grrl:
I liked the Borla he had on his car - I thought it was quiet enough from the inside, but loud enough that you knew it was there. It had a deeper note that didn't sound "fart can" - like.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A lot of people say that their focus exhaust dont sound fart can like...but what happens when you let off the throttle? doesn't it make all those nasty farty sounds? Sounds like a fart pipe to me. Only some focus exhausts can minimize that sound.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts

the HKS is by far the SMOOTHEST sounding exhuast...trust me, ive heard them all, its expensive, but man is it smoooth...god i wish everyone could here it, its just plain music...

Its probabbly the quietest of them all, sounds AWESOME with a race header and never has any buz, backfire, nasty gurgles, just smooooooth

oh, and its up for sale in classifieds....getting a bigger custom exhuast for turbo

·
Registered
166 Posts

I recently purchased an HKS exhaust.. I love it.. nice deep rumble at idle and pretty much quiet when city driving, but you know its there. When you get on it it is so nice and deep

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Originally posted by ruggedman:
A lot of people say that their focus exhaust dont sound fart can like...but what happens when you let off the throttle? doesn't it make all those nasty farty sounds? Sounds like a fart pipe to me. Only some focus exhausts can minimize that sound.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nope, that's the "gurgle"

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

Originally posted by svt_grrl:
Cool! HKS sounds nice! I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DON'T listen to the sample of the Focus HKS system on the HKS website. It sounds nothing like it does in real life. I don't know why it sounds so bad, but whoever did the sample did a VERY bad job.

Find a Focus and listen to the real thing. I love the sound of mine.

I gotta thank Naz and Mr. Bill (EggyokeBill) for pointing me towards this cat-back.

Phil

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Isn't the HKS made for the ZX3 only? Mandi has a sedan and I haven't seen one for that application (could be wrong, though).

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

Originally posted by TippsTheFoo:
Isn't the HKS made for the ZX3 only? Mandi has a sedan and I haven't seen one for that application (could be wrong, though).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I suppose that could be a problem.
I have a ZX3 so I have no idea if it's different.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts

check out the classifieds people, for those who want a super nice hks at a great price

1 - 15 of 15 Posts