Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, what is this timing advance and what does it do. Mine is very unstable. Everything seems to be normal, there is no problem with the fuel, there is no problem with the maf. I just put some pictures. Data is taken from torque application.
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

·
I
13,452 Posts
I would log it over a longer period of time. If idle is stable, I would not worry.

ECU strategy will use timing advance as a primary measure to control idle RPM. It is the fastest and smoothest way to keep idle stable. If you added any load to the engine during that time (like moved the steering wheel, turned on headlights), timing is going to jump to keep idle constant.

Timing is used first, followed by IAC and fuel to control idle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would log it over a longer period of time. If idle is stable, I would not worry.

ECU strategy will use timing advance as a primary measure to control idle RPM. It is the fastest and smoothest way to keep idle stable. If you added any load to the engine during that time (like moved the steering wheel, turned on headlights), timing is going to jump to keep idle constant.

Timing is used first, followed by IAC and fuel to control idle.

I can post the whole log file if you want. My problem is when I stop at traffic lights the car ripples and sometimes stalls. I take my foot off the accelerator pedal while driving and it vibrates. I press the gas pedal again, it vibrates again, but it's a momentary event. Maybe you can see it from this log.

Fastupload.io - trackLog-2022-May-29_20-01-54.csv

1 - 3 of 3 Posts