Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the old alternator pulley to replace it with the new one. I tried everything. I also tried to remove the alternator but I couldn't get it to budge. Please help!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
If this is for the 3 piece UDP set, why bother?

The alt pulley is the same size as the stock one. I have that pulley set and it works fine with the stock alt pulley and changing the other two.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that it works fine without it. But if I'm paying the money to get all 3 pulley's, regardless of whether or not the alternator pulley makes a power difference, I still would like to have it for the looks. I figure for now though that I'm just going to leave it off. Too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
987 Posts
take a screw driver(flat head) manuver it so the pulley can not turn, take your socket and loosen it, replace, reverse steps
unlike people claim you do not have to loosen or even remove the alternator for this step

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Originally posted by confused soul:
take a screw driver(flat head) manuver it so the pulley can not turn, take your socket and loosen it, replace, reverse steps
unlike people claim you do not have to loosen or even remove the alternator for this step
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">really? i tried that, and it didn't work.
ended up removing it (mostly, didn't actually get it out from behind the engine) and hit it with an air wrench. pain in the ass, either way.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Originally posted by confused soul:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How do you "manuever" it? Where do you position it?

I just get an impact wrench. Loosen Alternator bolts. Position alternator sideways to allow the impact wrench to be positioned to remove the pulley nut. Put the new pulley on then tighten nut back on with impact wrench then mount and tighte alternator.

The FC alternator pulley is the exact same diameter of the stock one. Not sure what it does...
It might be a little lighter.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah the Fc one is a little Lighter..Not much of a gain for it but like you said you paid for the three piece set use it!!It is a pain!!I had help and you will need help to!!!SOmeone should be on top manuevering the alternator kinda in a rocking motion!!!you don't have to remove the screw in the back just the one thats closest to you!!!anyways hve you or someone whil he is Rocking the alternator get under the car and Try and Remove it from there!!!We used a impact wrench and a Pipe wrench to lock onto the alternator to break it free!!!Good luck it is extremely the hardest part of the Install !!

·
Registered
175 Posts
If I recall correctly there are 2 bolts and a wiring harness to disconnect before moving the alternator? Maybe you don't even need to disconnect the harnesses if you just turn it sideways. Anyways, it's a tight fit...

[ 01-31-2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: jdp72 ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts