Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could yall give me your opinon on something? I am going to install a Focus central Throttle body on my car and was wondering about the gasket, should i put gasket sealant on it or should i (like i saw in a how-to video) just put the gasket on?

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would it be best to put the gasket on the throttle body or on the intake?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
please please dont seal it...If you have troubles and have to take it off...Ive taken mine on and off who knows how many times! yea well that would be a bitch if its sealed down to the manifold...

·
Registered
400 Posts
You guys say use a silicone sealant to put the gasket on the TB side....My dad recently moved out, so we have a stripped garage ATM. We do, however have some silicone sealant (I think) that we used to install some new shower fixtures. Would this work?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
i used the red RTV and it worked well. you need something that will stand up to the intense engine heat that will build up under the hood so no, household silicone will probably not work. just go to an automotive store and pick up a tube of "high heat (red) RTV." but as FocusOnMyZetec said it is pretty permanent. so make sure you do it right the first time, after that the gasket is coming off in pieces.

Nate

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have to agree w/ Vince-don't use the sealant. In years of wotking on cars, removing and installing components, the only reason for using any type of gasket sealant is to position the gasket when installing something, so that the gasket stays in place, or to remedy a problem with seating surface imperfections that don't allow just the gasket to complete the seal. You also can make the old gasket hard to remove and potentially not reusable by gluing it to one or the other surface. Sealant can also be used, in a pinch, to reinstall a component with an old broken or brittle gasket when you have no choice and need to make it work. I have had my FC tb off and on a few times and have not put any sealant on it-also, with all the components on the JRSC kit there is no sealant used or recommended during the install. It''s also important to properly torque all components upon install-too tight can destroy a gasket and/or break bolts while too loose can cause leaks and parts to fall off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts