Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have looked and looked but nothing.

but who has the focus central race shifter? i want it but have heard of them breaking and other stuff. i think ill like it becuz of the shortness of the throw. i have drove a car with the steeda, is the FC race shifter that much shorter.

ohh and i cant forget. do you like it? i know they came down in price alittle

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I've got the FC race shifter. I haven't heard any stories of them breaking, but i've heard the early B&M and ebay shifters tend to break. At any rate, I really like it, but it is SHORT. VERY SHORT. I've got an adjustable height knob with a lot of threads, and if I screw it down all the way, the knob is almost an 'innie'. I've got it screwed almost all the way out

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I also have one but mine is the later model. I love it! It is a bit on the short side but if you dont lean your seat way back like a gangstar than its no problem
I dont have an adjustable knob either...RS baby

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it true that you need a new shifter boot with the FC race shifter? id prefer not to buy a new boot but if i got to. and if could talk maybe one pic so i can see it in the consule that would greatly apreciated*

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was just on the site,whats the difference between the race shifter and the short shifter? Is the race shifter shorter? Thats what I'm guessing but just wanna make sure

·
Almost choked on a Girl Scout ...cookie
16,227 Posts
I was just on the site,whats the difference between the race shifter and the short shifter? Is the race shifter shorter? Thats what I'm guessing but just wanna make sure
It's shorter, there's no lock-out, and it comes with a nice chrome ball shift knob.
Watch out for that knob when it's 100* out though. <font color="red"> HOT! </font>

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it comes with a knob? the web site says that it does not come with a knob?

·
Registered
3 Posts
does anyone know how to installa short shifter... i get to the point of taking off the plastic retaining collar and then im stuck! any help would be greatly appreciated (it might not help that i'm going off a 2000-2002 installation manual since i have a 2003, but thats all i could find on the internet)

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank you, but unfortuantly i was using that website as well... it only gets you to a certain point and then the B&M manual that i found online will get me a little further, but the 2000-2002 look like a slightly different set up than the 2003<

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bumping for new question....

does the focus central actually shorten the throw or does it just chop some metal off the top half? i know the steeda shortens the throw but dont know bout the FC race shifter

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I love the focus central race shifter
If your seat is where it's supposed to be then it isnt to short. I have the later version so I'm not sure how the old one feels..... but I recommend the newer one

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have the Older sytle one. It did come with a shifter ball because Focus-Central used its own custom thread size and pitch. Now the new ones are the stock thread size of the focus. So they expect you to get the ball. I have no porblems with mine. But I am geting a steeda Tri-axe. personaly their must be some reason why the B&M and the steeda are 150 where as the focus-central is $65. I dont now if it actualy shortens the through though.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i havent got the anwser to my question... even if you have a good idea that would help

does anyone know if it actually shortens the throw?

·
Registered
61 Posts
to chime in a lil...i do not like the FC Race shifter in the early models)before 2002.5, i had later model focus with the FC race shifter and loved it, now i have an SVTF and want to get the FC but everyone keeps recommending the Steeda, anyone got a pic of the FC in a SVT

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had a B&M shifter, a steeda shifter, and now the FC race shifter and it's by far my favorite shifter.

I liked the Steeda, it had a shorter throw than the B&M but thats because of the lower pivot point. The FC race shifter uses uses the same shift points but is a much shorter throw than even the steeda. The last time I sat in my friend's new zx3 with a short throw I thought he had the stock shifter. Guess I'm too used to my FC.

Just to give you a comparison, here's the FC compared to stock. I should have put my broken steeda and b&m in there as well but I didn't have them when I took the picture.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've had a B&M shifter, a steeda shifter, and now the FC race shifter and it's by far my favorite shifter.

I liked the Steeda, it had a shorter throw than the B&M but thats because of the lower pivot point. The FC race shifter uses uses the same shift points but is a much shorter throw than even the steeda. The last time I sat in my friend's new zx3 with a short throw I thought he had the stock shifter. Guess I'm too used to my FC.

Just to give you a comparison, here's the FC compared to stock. I should have put my broken steeda and b&m in there as well but I didn't have them when I took the picture.

broken steeda???

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also have the FC super short shifter and the first one I bought from them was taller and not as thick. It broke at the bottom, I could have welded it but instead I bought the one that is pictured in this thread... It works fine and I have had it for about a year... -MD

·
Registered
241 Posts

broken steeda???
i was thinking the same thing. what happened?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts