Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i picked up a used TB and installed it and i am having trouble with the car not ideling down at stop lights unless i sit there for an extended ammount of time in which case it will come back down to normal. while stoped it will idel at 1500 and slowly let it self down after sitting for a good 1 to 2 min. its making me want to go back to the stock TB anyone know why this is happening?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Check the gasket. Maybe you turned it the wrong way or forgot to install it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
make sure the throttle body is tightened down enough. make sure the gasket is not blocking the three idle air holes on the side. if its still a problem, take it off and clean the passages and the rest of the tb.

also, make sure that the throttle plate closes. there is a set screw that you need to adjust. if the set screw lets the plate close too far, the plate will stick and you will feel the pedal stick as a result. if the screw opens the plate too much, you may not be able to idle correctly.

if you didn't when you switched, reset the ecu by unplugging the batter for 10-20 mins. after that, you need to let the car idle for 30 secs at least before driving away, after 1-2 driving cycles the ecu will relearn the idle correctly.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
^Exactly. If you bought it used, the prior owner may have adjusted the butterfly screw and it may be idling wrong. I suspect it is probably the three idle air holes.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have this same problem... mine is real bad tho... i'll get on the car to about 4g's put in the clutch and my rpms will stay there all day... they wont go up or down so it makes drivin the car a pain in the ass... im gunna rip it off tonite and take a look at them 3 holes.. never knew about them untill now to be honest... thanks guys... is there anything else while i have this off i should look at that might be causing this problem???

thanks
jason

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
while its off, just clean it with some degreaser or something to clean up the area where the throttle plate closes, and clean the holes too. after its on, adjust the set screw so that it lets the plate close as far as possible without "sticking" when you try to open it.

maybe reset the ecu and make the car relearn the idle again.

also note that unless you have a chip that reduces the "hanging revs" the engine will hang the revs after the clutch is in as a emissions strategy to avoid running rich after you let off the throttle. so it may still hang a little bit just because thats the way the ecu controls it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah you might want to make sure the the TPS is not on too tight i had that prob when mine was.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I installed mine with the TPS in the wrong place, set for the Automatic transmission. When I set it properly (after almost a month of frustration) the car idled better, didn't hang the revs as bad and it shut off the CEL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts