Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW, what a snap that was!

Received my Focus Central UDP Kit from Partshopper.com ($99.95 + shipping) yesterday.

Step 1. ZX3 into Garage
2. Open beer.
3. Chock rear tires, jack and stand car and remove RF tire.
4. Swig beer.
5. Remove plastic guard covering crank pulley.
6. Loosen water pump mounting bolts.
7. Loosen crank pulley mounting bolt while helper steps on brake. (5 speed)
8. Use 15mm open end wrench to release tension (Counter-clockwise)and remove belt.
9. Remove water pump pulley and crank pulley.
10. Swig beer.
11. Grind crank pulley dust guard with Dremel.(12 to 2 and 4 to 6.)
12. Install new crank and water pump pulley.
13. Swig beer.
14. Release tension as above and install belt.
15. Tighten water pump bolts and crank pulley bolt.
16. Install plastic guard.
17. Swig beer.
18. Replace wheel and lower car.
19. Finish beer.
20. Road test with ever-widening grin!

Note: I left the alt. pulley in the box.

Tools required: 10mm wrench, 10 mm socket and ratchet, 15mm wrench, 18mm socket, breaker bar, 12oz. Mexican Beer.

Results: Increased power output thru-out RPM range.

YIPPEE!

·
Registered
258 Posts
can't that dust guard in step 11 be off? instead of grinding it to fit the belt?

would that be a bad thing?

I might try to install this myself this afternoon. considering that I've never gone past an oil change, this is a pretty big mighty project for me

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure, the dust guard can be removed instead of altered. Although, one may consider that the dust guard is there to keep spinning parts cleaner.

Just a thought.

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
What exactly does everybody mean when they say hold the brake with a 5 speed? Does it keep the something from spinning? And how hard is it to loosen the crank bolt?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bolt that holds the pulley onto the end of the crankshaft is torqued to 85-91 ft-lbs. When you attempt to turn this bolt, the engine turns. By putting the tranny in gear and stepping on the brake, you stop the engine from turning. You can then loosen this bolt.

Jim

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hate mods that require so much beer that you cant take the car for a test drive, but I seem to do a lot of those.

·
Registered
258 Posts
why do you need to loosen the belt tensioner bolt to remove the belt? I used the 15mm wrench as you suggested, but this only loosens the bolt that holds that pulley in place. I accomplished nothing more from that.

to get the belt back on, I put my hand under the belt tensioner pulley and just pushed it up (clockwise). on step 8: "loosening tension," you said (counter-clockwise). from what I observed, that's how the belt gets tight, to loosen it, one has to push the tensioner up towards the alternator pulley.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 3xz:
why do you need to loosen the belt tensioner bolt to remove the belt? I used the 15mm wrench as you suggested, but this only loosens the bolt that holds that pulley in place. I accomplished nothing more from that.

to get the belt back on, I put my hand under the belt tensioner pulley and just pushed it up (clockwise). on step 8: "loosening tension," you said (counter-clockwise). from what I observed, that's how the belt gets tight, to loosen it, one has to push the tensioner up towards the alternator pulley.
<hr></blockquote>

Well, CRAP! You're absolutly correct! The rest of the beers must have clouded my mind!

Jim

·
Registered
258 Posts

couldn't get that flipping cramk pulley bolt off!

we tried everything. tomorrow, I'm going to rent a bay at the auto shop and use an impact wrench. if that doesn't work, I'm going postal!

other than that, it seems like an easy mod.

but now that you mention beer...I did skip all those steps
...stupid me!! I should have known better. I'll make sure to take a six pack with me to the shop tomorrow!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here's what I did...

I placed a very long handled ratchet over the crank pulley bolt, lowered the car a little bit so that the end of the ratchet hit the ground at about a 7 o'clock position. I then disconnected the ignition coil, hopped in the driver's seat and turned the crank over.

This loosened the crank pulley bolt right off. When reinstalling the bolt, I put a good amount of LocTite on the bolt and torqued it on as well as I could while I had a friend depress the brake pedal.

Doesn't get simpler than this.

d

·
Registered
258 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by daveyfx:
Here's what I did...

I placed a very long handled ratchet over the crank pulley bolt, lowered the car a little bit so that the end of the ratchet hit the ground at about a 7 o'clock position. I then disconnected the ignition coil, hopped in the driver's seat and turned the crank over.

d
<hr></blockquote>

we were going to try that, but we were afraid the wrench might go flying who knows where.

considering that we have an impact wrench (and any other tool you might want for that matter, including a handy torque wrench) and a lifter available for $2.50 an hour, we decided to just exercise a little patience and wait til...today! I gotta go!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts