Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys...
I have been wanting to get into this for awhile and life is too short. I just went to FOTB and met a couple of people, one of course being Todd and got some basic info but wanted to get some details on a basic car setup.

Here is what I have so far....
1. Cold air intake..not a high end brand but good for now.
2. Progress drop coils...same thing not long term but I’ve had them for awhile
3. Front strut bar

This is what I know I need...
1. Tires
2. Exhaust
3. Headers
4. tune/programmer

Here’s my questions....
1. Todd suggested the Falken Azenis RT-615s, which are good my question is since I only have my stock rims (think there 14") and a set of 18's (they seem to be big and heavy) I need to get some rims and don’t know what size is best? 16? 17?

2. Is the MBRP exhaust good enough to use long term or is it a waste?

3. Headers... recommendations?

4. Can I just tune it myself after getting the programmer? If not does anyone know of a tune place near the San Fernando Valley (north of LA)?

Thanks allot guys and hope to see you on the track soon,
Robert

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
As for wheels and tires, if you don't plan on swapping to SVT brakes, get 15s. They will be lighter, and tires will be cheaper. Azenis RT-615 are a fantastic budget street tire for track use. By far the best bang for the buck.

And for tuning, you won't be able to tune it yourself, but you're close to the best Focus tuning shop in the world, www.focussport.com :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
The main idea with the Focus Challenge is to write the rules so stock cars can compete with fully built race cars. I would suggest against spending a bunch of money on your car just to compete in Focus Challenge. If you win, you get bragging rights, not a huge multi-thousand dollar purse. Omnifocus pretty much swept the FC with a nearly stock car back in the day.

Now that the fine print is finished, I have some stock 15" wheels that I'm trying to hand off to somebody for really cheap. They've already spent some time on the track and a set of stock sized Azenis 615 tires would work extremely well. The MBRP exhaust is a quality piece. And I second FocusSport for all your parts and tuning needs. Good luck and have fun :thumbup:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! I think I will go for 16" as I dont want to rebuy rims if I upgrade to svt brakes.

yeah I agree... I'm not looking to spend to much money now, i just want to be somewhat respectable out there.

I also need a helmet right? where can i get one cheap?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
lofocus said:
thanks guys! I think I will go for 16" as I dont want to rebuy rims if I upgrade to svt brakes.

yeah I agree... I'm not looking to spend to much money now, i just want to be somewhat respectable out there.

I also need a helmet right? where can i get one cheap?
Ebay the helmet. I have bought my last 2 off Ebay and had great experiences and saved around $50 - 100 on each purchase.

I agree with your choice on the 16" rims also. Great choice as far as gearing and tire size goes. Couple of guys here in the Mid Atlantic have floated back and forth from the 15" to the 17" and ended up back on the 16"

Good luck and most of all have fun. Don't get all tied up in the competition thing right off the bat or you will get really frustrated. Have fun make smooth runs and learn.

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
I'm not so sure I'd agree with eBaying a helmet. You don't know it's history and you don't know how it fits, pretty much the two most important things when it comes to helmets. There are plenty of quality helmets from $100-$400 brand new. Just be sure to try them on, because fit is the most important thing.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blueovaldave said:
Ebay the helmet. I have bought my last 2 off Ebay and had great experiences and saved around $50 - 100 on each purchase.

I agree with your choice on the 16" rims also. Great choice as far as gearing and tire size goes. Couple of guys here in the Mid Atlantic have floated back and forth from the 15" to the 17" and ended up back on the 16"

Good luck and most of all have fun. Don't get all tied up in the competition thing right off the bat or you will get really frustrated. Have fun make smooth runs and learn.
thanks for the pointers. what kind of helmet do i need to get? what do you look for?

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
Fit, fit, and fit. Try them on before you buy.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I got the latest SA2005. It all depends on what you plan to race. I'm not sure what FC requires. You're probably best off getting the latest SA rating. The G-Force Force 1 helmets are around $149 last time I looked and are M2005 rated, the Pro Force 1 is $249 and SA2005 rated. Pretty good prices for what you get.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
The Azenis are great no matter what size. Stuf em on your rims and come out and have fun. The rest will fall into place. Anytime you have questions, dont hesitate to hit up your fellow Foci runners. Welcome, and there goes your wallet.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do i need to bother with brake pads at this point or will the stockies work? wont they over heat? if so Hawks? Green Stuff?

thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wallygator said:
The stockers are okay but get ****y after repeated hard stops. Throw a set of Hawks. That will help immensly.
ok i found the HPS's for $79.67. at buybrakes.com

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
i found a great price on the Falken Azenis RT-615's (296 for all four) but what would the best size be for the track? i am going to use my stock 15's, which i think are 6.5" wide. 205/50/15?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have Kumho Ecsta already on my 18's are they good for the track?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts