Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my point of view, all the talk about what springs, struts, ECU flashers, and etc will stop from public posts for now. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

At this point NASA has some testing to do with the parts and cars we have at this time.

After all the testing as been completed, I will try to let everyone know how the test went. NASA along with help from Ford Racing, F2 Focus, and Gillis Motorsports will perform these test at the following tracks and times. Focaljet members are free to come out to watch what tests we are doing, schedule times can change.

Willow Springs on September 10-11 (NASA TT)
Buttonwillow on October 8-9 (NASA TT)
Buttonwillow on November 12-13 (NASA TT and Pro Compact Race)
Thunder Hill on December 3-4 (NASA 25 hour race)

Please note that Ford Racing will also be doing some testing in the Michigan Area. I have no schedule for these tests.

Sometime in November or December the rules and series will be posted on NASA’s Webpage and I will also let everyone know in here as well. Once these rules are posted, changes will most likely not be changed.

I like to thank everyone who has given their idea on what parts to use. They have all been noted, and something has been changed because of help from all the FocalJet members. I want to thank you all for that.

Thanks,
Ted

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Re: Spec Series Testing

Don't you think it's important to design the spec with as much input as possible from people who know the car best, and know what mods are most effective? Also, this is probably the group who are most likely to want to participate with a Focus, assuming that you do it justice. It just seems odd IMO to want to cut off the discussion at this point when there is still so much time left in the development process. You've done one not so complete test, gotten roughly 50 posts of commentary/suggestions and you're just going to take it from there? Ford doesn't have the best track record with doing right by the Focus and I'd hate to see that happen again.

I'm not saying you have to listen to all the ideas that are given, but this group definitely has knows what they are talking about in regards to tracking a Focus. If you design the spec so that the Focus ends up being an "also-ran" as opposed to a real competitor in the series, why even bother with the effort?

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

NASA has a lot of experience in starting and running a racing series.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts

I can tell already with your current attitude that your chances of building a successful Spec Focus is going to have as much success as the real NASA's shuttle launch did this week.

Seems like a shame to put the blinders on and think you and your group know everything, but I won't continue to argue. I see that so far it's getting a lot of people no where, and I have better things to do.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
2,910 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with you Erik...

One car a spec series does not make. If you wish, do things your own way, but do not count on this focus community's support. You are tossing out more track time and racing experience than you can imagine.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

Thanks for your time and work with trying to get a Focus spec series going. Try to not let all the negativity get to you.

If you decide to look for input again my vote will always be for the cheapest route.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

Is NASA a sponsor, or affiliated in any way with Focaljet.com?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Is NASA a sponsor, or affiliated in any way with Focaljet.com?
It was going to be. I have talked to Ron of Focaljet and we would very much like to be affiliated with Focaljet. We're working on some ideas.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks for your time and work with trying to get a Focus spec series going. Try to not let all the negativity get to you.

If you decide to look for input again my vote will always be for the cheapest route.
Thank you for your support. I know it's really hard to please everyone. I guess just like everything else you’re going to have people with negative things to say….. But, for right now we’re just going to go forward with these test. We feel we’re pretty close where we wanted to be right now.

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts

After all the testing as been completed, I will try to let everyone know how the test went. NASA along with help from Ford Racing, F2 Focus, and Gillis Motorsports will perform these test at the following tracks and times.
This makes it sound like the series is being set up only for the benefit of the parties involved.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

After all the testing as been completed, I will try to let everyone know how the test went. NASA along with help from Ford Racing, F2 Focus, and Gillis Motorsports will perform these test at the following tracks and times.
This makes it sound like the series is being set up only for the benefit of the parties involved.

really? it sounds to me like those are the only people who stepped up to the plate to provide aftermarket support.

can we just let this die and see what happens? if the tests go as well as everyone involved hopes they do, then the series will get sanctioning and there will be a specification. whether or not someone wants to try out a new spec series is up to them. so far there are only a VERY small handful of people here (gary, sean and leo, anyone else?) doing W2W in a focus, which leads me to believe that the majority of the participants in this series will not be sourced from this site or even Focus Challenge even if the series pandered to every whim and desire posted on this board.

Ted, good luck on your testing and please post the results. if i were in your shoes right now i'd personally thank the individuals who gave criticism and analysis that was constructive or productive, and just leave it all at that. no more no less. there's no point in trying to justify anything at this point.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

s2d2 and Ted,
The point that some are trying to make is that the current "Specs" of the PROPOSED Spec Series seem to be designed around a Formula that came from one source, w/o too much research, and that the starting post of this thread expresses a "Closed door policy" to further input from those who DO have many miles of experience w/ the Focus, whether it be W2W or simply open track days under great duress.
EVERYONE here would like to see a SUCCESSFUL Focus Spec Series.
We ALL KNOW that money does the talking.
We ALSO know that MORE money and CONTINUED Success will depend on Experience, which cannot be quantified in terms of Money.
To deny the input of Experience and FELLOW Enthusiasts would be fine if one were doing a Solo project.
For a Spec Series, it MAY be lacking in Wisdom, if the attitudes expressed are genuine and not mistaken.
I have formed NO judgement personally, aside from the fact that the previously posted proposed Suspension would be less than adequate and should be reconsidered, IF it hasn't already.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

i'm not trying to defend either party. i'm trying to get everyone to play nice, or go to the other end of the playground. chances are i'll never race a spec focus, nor will i ever go to a focus challenge event. i just feel like this forum has suddenly been overrun by egos (on all sides) and i don't particularly like it. everyone DOES want it, you are certainly correct, they just want it THEIR way.

this thread is the culmination of a few weeks of discussion, and any "closed door policy" came about due to the failure to collaborate from the parties involved. so yeah, i think it just needs to leave the board and we'll just have to wait to see what happens.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

I agree wholeheartedly on the "Play Nice Policy".
I'm here, along with others, to enforce that if things get toooo rough.
I HAVE read the discussions on the board, even if I haven't posted too much.
I still feel that Open Discussion can be a valuable asset despite the lack of complete consensus.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Right now the parties involved are the ones building test cars. I have one Focus (2.3)for testing only, and will be using parts that Ford Racing has sent me, and Ricardo (F2) is building one (Zetec) from scratch right now with help from Andrew Gillis. Andrew Gillis is also going to be one of our test drivers. Andrew has a lot of seat time in a Focus Race Car and the feedback we get from him will be great. We will also have other NASA Race Car drivers testing the cars as well. These will be independent drivers that will not be driving in the Spec Series. But, they will be qualified Race Car Drivers who race in one of NASA’s small-bore series. This way we can get a non-biases opinion of what we have and the parts we are using.

I would love to have others to step up and help out. If someone else would like to make a test car that would be great. We have a few more test days left. There are two models I would like to test before the end of the year and that is a SVT and/or a 2.0 Duratec Focus. I know some people from Ford Racing is testing a SVT Focus…. But it would be nice to have a 2.0 Duratec Focus out there as well.

I would also like to see more aftermarket companies join in as well. If any aftermarket company wants to get some of their parts eligible for the series, please feel free to email me. We will have some restrictions, like rear sway bars, They will have to match the same size we plan on using. Some parts can be easy to be eligible, like a CAI system not a lot of gain there.

Also, to let everyone know about the name of the series. That name has not been announced yet because NASA is getting a name copyrighted. The name Spec Series is somewhat misleading, because a real spec series would be one model, one engine. This is not what this series will have…. Ford Racing has told us they wanted to use all Focus Models (Except SOHC). So, right now we’ll call it the Focus “Spec” Series, but that will change. It might be something like “Focus Racing Series sponsor by Ford Racing”. That will be announced later.

Again, If someone would like to get involved in the testing phase, and want to build a test car. Please feel free to email me. It would be great to have another car out there for NASA officials and test drivers to test. Also, anyone is welcome to watch these test as well.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I have formed NO judgement personally, aside from the fact that the previously posted proposed Suspension would be less than adequate and should be reconsidered, IF it hasn't already.
We will be looking into other suspensions, but Ford Racing has said that two of there drivers (employees) have been using Dynamic Suspension in SCCA SSC Series and all parties feel that they will be good for this series, But Ford is not the Sanctioning Body of the series, and NASA (not just myself) will have the final say what suspension will be used.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts