Pre-2012 Foci
All electric class
2012+ ST's

·
to roi am a pretty little girl with a shifter to r
2,666 Posts
now here is the real question, how do we make it faster:evilgrin:
electric cars dont go fast (usually) silly :p

i wouldnt drive one, sorry... engine sound, whipping through the gears... all very important to me :D

-gabe

·
Registered
264 Posts

i wouldnt drive one, sorry... engine sound, whipping through the gears... all very important to me :D

-gabe
when it comes to engine sound and shifting i agree, however just look at the Tesla, not a slow car. plus if this really is the future of automobiles it wotn be long before someone starts doin some crazy mods like..... im going to replace my standered electric engine with a small nuclear reactor:D

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
now here is the real question, how do we make it faster:evilgrin:
I'll bring this thread back to life with this;

Increase the voltage..that's how you make it faster. General rule of thumb with electric cars....Volts = Horsepower, Amps = Torque.

The quickest *street legal* gas powered Focus can't beat the quickest *street legal* electric car in the quarter mile. With this E-Focus, and some long night hair-twirling, you could see this car besting a gas powered Focus in the 1/4 mile.

Street legal electric "race cars" are putting down 800-1000 foot pounds of torque these days.

The problem(s) in doing this is getting controllers that will handle the power. 2000 amp DC controllers are 4-5 grand, 3000 amp (one megawatt) DC controllers are being designed and built as I type. Not sure of the price...most likely spendy as they will be in such limited production. The Focus is an AC system, which makes thing harder (more expensive).

What we need *in this country* is the manufacture and supply of decent batteries. I had to order mine from CHINA! I'd rather have spent my money with a U.S. company, but until politicians pull their heads out of their...you know what.

Anyhow, there's a thread in pitstop about EV's in general.

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-pit-stop/653400-discussion-about-evs-battery-tech-inevitably-big-business.html

·
Registered
64 Posts
Even with a rebate they are overpriced,up here in the great white north still over 40grand with all the taxs in.JMO

·
Banned
64 Posts
I wonder what the Low setting on the trans does when you have a single speed gearbox?

It brakes the motor twice as much wile regenerating electricity back to the battery. Toyota ain't got crap on the Ford regen. Coasting charges the battery as well as applying the brakes. ( slows you down a lot when you take your foot off the throttle.) I get about a mile back for every 15 seconds or so of coasting followed by a braking stop on the regular D mode. I don't use L at all. Stops to fast. The EPA mile rating for this car is very under what I get if I stay under forty five. About three miles of charge to go twenty miles stop and go. Just thought say that. You no, if you were trying to break records and all.

·
Banned
64 Posts

-gabe
You need two google Detroit Electric model SP01, The killacycle, and the white Zombie Datson b210 which has an idy bitty battery. Check these three things out. This was several years ago!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts