Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Focus Plug\'s Which one should you use??

Sup chall, I have just installed some bosc plantuim 4's in my 02 ZX3 and they make my car run like crap. Totaly flutter on idle, my car almost die's it's BS. But I have been hearing about denso plug's? So I would like any information on what plugs I should use or ones that are even worth using? Please, what damage can the wrong plug's do also. THANKS

Revs

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Re: Focus Plug\'s Which one should you use??

i run bosch platinums. not the 2's or the 3's or the 4's. just normal ones. 1.99 each at autozone. runs fine.

[ 01-20-2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: sh0velman ]

·
Registered
222 Posts

Yea those Bosch +4's are crap. I put a set in my F150 i used to have and they made it backfire out of the exhaust as soon as i started it up. They are terrible.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

On my '00 Sedan I would get a lil bit of flutter on idle but wasnt bad enough that I cared that much. I could tell they added some performance to 4th and 5th gear on the highway, made it alot smoother, and really improved gas mileage. Someone told me that they dont have enough reach for the Zetec. I have heard conflicting stories on them, some say they dont make them for the Focus but if you check Bosch's web site and the part numbers for autozone, they do. I also heard that those were suppose to be for the SPI and not the Zetec but I have never see any proof as to why.

·
Registered
151 Posts

I put them in my zetec and they SUK......really , I wrote Bosche about it and they havent got back to me yet.It says on the box ..."Youll notice a differece or we'll buy the plugs" I noticed a difference all right!

cory

·
Registered
125 Posts

The bosch +4's work well on rice cars. I had them in my old kia and the MPG's improve and the response was better. Haven't tried them in the Focus cause I haven't heard anything good about them related to this car.

Mike

·
Registered
311 Posts

the only two plugs that I haven't heard ANY complaints about are the Autolite double platinum, or the Motorcraft double platinum. Ford actualy runs pretty hot plugs in our engines. anything other than these two, I've heard people bitch about. that includes the Iridium plugs.

·
Registered
232 Posts

I've been running the autolite double plats forever on my car - APP5344

And, like BlueZ says, the motorcrafts I've heard are good as well.

·
Registered
321 Posts

How often do you guys change the plugs????

·
Registered
457 Posts

I read a post a while back that said the threads on the plat +4's are pretty short. Apparently they don't seat far enough in and hence creates a flutter as you call it. I'm still running stock plugs but after 55,000 miles I guess it's time for some new ones.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts

I hear that the copper core motorcraft plugs are good? I'm running the 4+'s with no change in performance either way.

·
Registered
143 Posts

i tried those sonic plugs im sure you guys have seen in the adds. mpg did pick up and it idle was improved. I added the deamon coil and wires but changed to the stock motorcraft plugs because the sonic plugs were a modified copper core NGK plug, while plat. hold up better with high out put ignition systems ( less electrode errosion ) copper actually conducts better and disapates heat better. I may give the silverstone rep a call and try a set of their plugs, i havent noticed a drop in mpg after switching. I do recall reading good reviews about the motorcraft plugs, their ohm resistance was considerably less than other plugs, but cant remember where i read it. the focus pcm dosent seem to mind a copper plug unlike some gm vehicles, but with a copper core plug you will have to change them more often. even with a plat plug you should change between 40-50k, never try to go 100k on plugs no matter what the manufacture says

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Nice, before installing the plat 4's I did notice a considerable difference in the thread's, but I couldnt resist in trying them. Has anyone installed any of those denso iridium plug's?? Wonder if there even worht the 50 bucks you have to pay per set. You think those demons actually help alot??

Later

·
Registered
359 Posts

Originally posted by MattHarrell:
Do the Autolites and Motorcraft plugs come pre-gapped? I don't want to have to deal with gapping the plugs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had to gap my Autolites, but its not that hard. A gapping set can be purchased for real cheap. Zetec gap is 0.050".

·
Registered
872 Posts

The Motorcraft copper plugs are gonna be the best, but they won't last as long as Motorcraft plats

·
Registered
3 Posts

If you want Denso IRDS the part # is ITV16, for stock ITV20 for 6-8 psi boost. have fun

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

just go pay the bread 4 the motorcraft plugs from the dealer azfs.32fe

-Ult

1 - 18 of 18 Posts