Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there had any experience with the cool air intake from the "focus sport" website?
I'm ready to buy one and would like advice from you guy's. I want increased power but, I don't want it to be loud as mine is a daily driver/family car. Also is there anything to changing the spark plug wires? I've read they can increase response time. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I ran one for a while, the intake volume won't be that loud. Take the resonator off of your stock airbox, that's about how loud the cool-flo is.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
it doesn't really add that much by itself. maybe 1-2hp... a little extra sound... maybe a tiny bit of throttle response. that's about it. i added it and an SVT snorkle and it did seem to run a bit smoother.

if you're looking to really add some go power without breaking the bank a Focus Central throttle body will make a world of difference. you're opening up a far larger restriction by replacing the stock tb than the stock intake system.

Nate

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Nate,

I am going to disagree with you about the T/B - While adding MUCH throttle response, without any other significant mods - The only thing it will do is make your car feel faster, the 'gain' you are feeling is simply the throttle opening more earlier.

For instance, with the T/B it is opening the throttle to 3/4 even if it is only down 1/2 throttle - Therefore making it feel like you have more power than you do, until you get to full throttle and there is only 1-2hp(on a mostly stock car) more there than before.

The stock intake is much more of a restiction than the T/B - The only problem for some with the stocker is the response, which I don't seem to mind.

We added an Iceman to our FocusSport Cool-Flo and the difference was amazing, the Iceman added MUCH more tq in the low end, and helped pull in the high end - The 2 as a pair is amazing, but costly if both peieces are bought new. Oh and may I add, I can't imagine any more throttle repsonse needed than what we get with the Iceman/Cool-Flo combo - The response is fast enough to snap you back quickly, but has the engagement of the stock T/B which is easy to live with. Perfect combo.

- Drew

[ 02-02-2003, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: focusownerskid ]

·
Registered
658 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
I ran one for a while, the intake volume won't be that loud. Take the resonator off of your stock airbox, that's about how loud the cool-flo is.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i beg to differ...i got rid of the cool flo due to noise. i had the coolflo/iceman combo and that with my bosal drove me nuts. i have the bomz now and it is well ballanced

as for the performance...with the iceman i LOVED it...just didnt care for the intake noise in the cabin

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by djwirfel:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i beg to differ...i got rid of the cool flo due to noise. i had the coolflo/iceman combo and that with my bosal drove me nuts. i have the bomz now and it is well ballanced

as for the performance...with the iceman i LOVED it...just didnt care for the intake noise in the cabin
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had the iceman/coolflo combo as well. I traded to the AEM. you have the long tube bomz?

I know what you mean in the difference in volume. It totally was different.

·
Registered
384 Posts
When I had my FS Cool Flo/Iceman combo, I felt I lost some of my low end, gained a little at the high end and just added some more noise to the car. When I stepped on the gas, it was mad loud with my Magnaflow. I ended up keeping the Iceman and letting the Cool Flo go because I missed that power the Iceman gave me at the low end.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As far as plug wires go they don't do much as far as performance goes. I noticed really no difference in performance when I installed my MSD wires but the fuel economy inproved a lil.
the cool-flo, BY ITSELF, is a good product... It sounds great and I think it has a better filter than the others. Plus, it will give you a lil more power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts