1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw on BLUEOVALNEWS.com that a reliable source
within Roush said Ford would discontinue it's production
in 2005.I think they're great cars,we have a euro edition
in the showrrom right now,everybody loves it.Ford will regret this....unless something better comes of it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Why? That is the million dollar question.

You have a situation where almost every manufacturer has entered the sport compact scene. Dodge blew everyone out of the water and honda is going to follow with the type R. Dodge ups the pot with an lsd and the best ford can offer is still 1.5 to two seconds behind.

Some say, "just be patient". Well that is great. I can wait until 2006 or 2007 but I will have already bought a new car in 2004. Opportunity cost ford. It is costing ford money not to step up to the FI plate.

For the record I think the SVT interior is great. And the fact that Ford is still playing the Europe gets the RS and the US gets the svt focus , mmmmmmmmkay.

That tells me two things. Fords is out of touch with this market segment,
I know, even with a web site like this. Or, Ford thinks this whole sport compact car racing thingy is just a fad, and "why put the resources into making a great SVT when this car zoom fast thingy is going to be passe".

I just can't express how upset I am that a FI focus didn't happen. I would have loved to own it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think that Ford could help themselves with Focus sales if they build a car that is a combination of the existing parts available and let all Ford dealers sell them. The timeframe to bring something like this to market would be relatively short compared to developing the SVT replacement.

Start with a Hatchback, add a 2.3 Duratec, SVT suspension, 4 wheel discs or maybe the SVT big brakes. Add in the appropriate items(CD,a/c,16's at least,etc) and keep the weight out! Call the thing whatever you want Focus GT, Focus Type?, and sell it for about $14,000-15,000. Think Mustang LX for a new generation.

A car like this would appeal to a number of enthusiasts who cannot afford the insurance on the Turbo cars that all the manufacturers are bringing to market. Yeah the turbo cars get all the press, but the insurance costs for the target demographic is going to keep the sales of those cars relatively low volume. A car, like the one I suggest should play to a much larger, younger market. You know the kind of people who will be buying cars for the next 50 years.

And if Ford does build this, you can send me one...free. I'll race the hell out of it for you!

Tony D

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
I'll throw in my bit o news to support the rumor mill. the new ECU contract came in for the P2551(?). that is the brand new F series ECU. We just won this contract and from what I hear its very important to Ford because they are basically staking the company on the new F-150s. so it seems to me that Ford is more interested in trucks than the SC scene. Guess I cant blame them, most of their money comes from truck sales.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Start with a Hatchback, add a 2.3 Duratec, SVT suspension, 4 wheel discs or maybe the SVT big brakes. Add in the appropriate items(CD,a/c,16's at least,etc) and keep the weight out! Call the thing whatever you want Focus GT, Focus Type?, and sell it for about $14,000-15,000. Think Mustang LX for a new generation.
Not a bad idea! It would be cool if Ford would offer the SVT suspension and brakes as an option for regular 2.3 Foci. And while they're at it, add an option to swap out the SVT dampers for Koni Yellows!

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Could it possibly be that they're just sticking to SVT for mustangs and F-150s, and maybe will release a focus with more pickup and go outside the SVT umbrella?

With all the spy shots out there, it seems as though they have been working awfully hard on something that was likely to get the axe anyway...

heres to hoping it just comes out not under the SVT name!

·
Registered
744 Posts
simple: "the bean counters."

as much as i want the rs or cosworth here, i dont think ford will release any special foci unless this market segment picks up (the current economy doesnt help much either).......lets be frank: how many srt-4's, svtf's, wrx's, evo 8's, ms protege's, si's etc..... have u seen on the road (really, lets be honest)

i know in other threads i've said ford will do it, ford will do it, but picking up the recent motortrend,reading some of the readers comments on this segment and on the evo 8, i thought about and came to this conclusion: the bean counters wont let it slide thru because "joe blow" in somewhere in s. dakota doesnt want to fork out the money to buy a "souped up econobox" or would rather have a truck or stang (nothing against stangs-i love em)

ehhh, enough ranting, i love my focus and if ford does gather its ballz and release something then:

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.