Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK So I am getting to the point that I should have my Timing Belt redone on my SVT. I don't think it is something I have the means to tackle myself so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of shops that have have been good to them or have experience with the SVT's so I am less likely to have something go wrong..

Anyway the title sort of asks all...

·
Registered
110 Posts
OK So I am getting to the point that I should have my Timing Belt redone on my SVT. I don't think it is something I have the means to tackle myself so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of shops that have have been good to them or have experience with the SVT's so I am less likely to have something go wrong..

Anyway the title sort of asks all...
When I had my SVT I took it to my preferred Ford dealer to do the work. The SVT was new to me and so was the dealer but I did my homework and was able to get comfortable with their skills and had them do it. At least you can always start there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I have two dealers that I could take it to that were both SVT Cerified when the car came out.. I sort of lost faith a bit in one of them when their service techs said the clutch was going, Not knowing of course that the SVT has a completely different feel clutch than the normal Focus.. I get in the car and all is good.. Thankfully though the service adviser knew that it probably wasn't the case.. So it is just a matter that over time the new techs haven't ever worked on these, when there were so few that have ever in the first place.. and now they are 20 years old or so... the guys that did are OLD like me lol... So I was hoping to find maybe a more specialized shop that someone knew about.. The Only good thing about taking it to the dealer is that if something went wrong they have very little recourse in saying well we don't know the car.. :) as they should it is theirs..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea I have two dealers that I could take it to that were both SVT Cerified when the car came out.. I sort of lost faith a bit in one of them when their service techs said the clutch was going, Not knowing of course that the SVT has a completely different feel clutch than the normal Focus.. I get in the car and all is good.. Thankfully though the service adviser knew that it probably wasn't the case.. So it is just a matter that over time the new techs haven't ever worked on these, when there were so few that have ever in the first place.. and now they are 20 years old or so... the guys that did are OLD like me lol... So I was hoping to find maybe a more specialized shop that someone knew about.. The Only good thing about taking it to the dealer is that if something went wrong they have very little recourse in saying well we don't know the car.. :) as they should it is theirs..
The benefit of the dealership is, even if the tech is not familiar with the specific model, they have access to the step by step factory repair instructions which should follow the same repair philosophy that they are familiar with for the cars they do work on every day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts