Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i went to a dealer last night to get a grand cherokee, and the freakin dealer said he would give me 3k trade in on my 2000 zx-3

After i got done laughing in his face(literally) i turned around and walked out!

Why o Why does this car have absolutely no trade in value???????????????????????????????

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
Because there's so many of them out there? That's what my buddy who works at a Ford dealer told me.

---update---
According to www.kbb.com my ZX3 with 30,000 miles in excellent condition has a trade in value of $5895.
Go check out kbb.com, enter your info and print it out. Then bring it to the dealer and show him what you found. Couldn't hurt

[ 04-17-2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: robbyracer ]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Its the market. Car sales are way down. Dealer are getting hit hard on new and used. i have even seen 0% financing on USED cars.. That is HUGE for a dealer.. + my bank is down to 3.9 on new and used car loans..

just my 2 cents..

TragiC

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's not just the Focus. Look at the Neon, Cavalier, any Kia, the list goes on and on. Unless it's a full sized truck, a luxury car, a Honda or a Toyota, the resale is bad and the trade in is worse. Even the vechicles that have traditionally held value really well are suffering right now. Used, full sized diesel trucks are a relative bargain right now compared to where they were 5 years ago. If you don't want to deal with massive depreciation, don't buy new. I though everybody knew that by now.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by c-grimmace:
SO i went to a dealer last night to get a grand cherokee, and the freakin dealer said he would give me 3k trade in on my 2000 zx-3

After i got done laughing in his face(literally) i turned around and walked out!

Why o Why does this car have absolutely no trade in value???????????????????????????????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so i just checked out my cars trade-in on www.edmunds.com, and according to them,

Trade-in=$4210
Private Party=$5227
Dealer Price=$6290

JESUS!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by c-grimmace:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so i just checked out my cars trade-in on www.edmunds.com, and according to them,

Trade-in=$4210
Private Party=$5227
Dealer Price=$6290

JESUS!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So, sell it yourself or work on the dealer for a higher trade in. I hate it when people buy a consumable item and expect it to hold its value or gain in value. Unless you're buying classic or very expensive cars, they aren't going to be worth much after three years especially for a dealer trade in. It also depends on the vehicle you are buying and how much demand there is for that vehicle.

BTW why the hell would you buy a Cherokee to replace the Focus anyway?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ford Motor Co. did not do us any favors with all the recalls and and production issues with the Focus. If a car doesn't have a sheet load of recalls/ issues that car will generally have a higher resale. ie. Honda/Toyota. The Focus is Fords cheap ass car. They don't seem to care as much about quality in the Focus vs. the Explorer. Ford doen't make much profit on the Focus, they don't care, because of the CAFE standards Ford needs a cheap car with good fuel economy car to off set the high margin SUVs that suck the gas.

·
Registered
744 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by drivefaster:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So, sell it yourself or work on the dealer for a higher trade in. I hate it when people buy a consumable item and expect it to hold its value or gain in value. Unless you're buying classic or very expensive cars, they aren't going to be worth much after three years especially for a dealer trade in. It also depends on the vehicle you are buying and how much demand there is for that vehicle.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ok, for 1) i wasn't expecting the price i paid for it, but 3k? come on, that's just insulting... and 2) i don't drive 600 miles a week anymore, B)i want a 4x4 c)my focus is getting to be too small for me and my friends (were all atleast 6' 180, it wasn't bad when i bought it because i was 23 then and usually the only one in the car. and finally, i am gettin tired of all the freakin kids and ricers around my area always trying to race me or talk ish to me about my car this or my car that... i'm over that...[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ey grimmace, either way the salesman is low-ballin ya.....f- them dood go to another dealership if they dont wanna work w/ya....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by drivefaster:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by c-grimmace:
so i just checked out my cars trade-in on www.edmunds.com, and according to them,

Trade-in=$4210
Private Party=$5227
Dealer Price=$6290

JESUS!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So, sell it yourself or work on the dealer for a higher trade in. I hate it when people buy a consumable item and expect it to hold its value or gain in value. Unless you're buying classic or very expensive cars, they aren't going to be worth much after three years especially for a dealer trade in. It also depends on the vehicle you are buying and how much demand there is for that vehicle.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The complaint wasn't that cars devaluate, it's that our cars have been one of the worst devaluating cars in the recent past. I also frequent a board for owners of MR2 Spyders. They complain because their 3 year old cars fetch only around 60% of the original value in trade-in. That'd be like me complaining for getting $10k+ on my ZTS, when I'd be lucky to get $6k. If I sell my Focus now, then even accounting for taxes my Focus would have cost at least as much to own as a MR-S would have. The MR-S devaluation isn't a freak occurence either, if online trade-in estimators are anywhere near accurate. A Civic Si would have cost less to own than a ZX3, much less my ZTS. An Integra GS-R or Celica GT-S would have cost about the same as my car, maybe $1000 more. Sure they require higher initial investments but in the end you get much, much more money back along with much better performing cars. A lot of the blame is on Ford for consciously choosing to skimp on manufacturing start up costs and the resulting ****ty quality, although some of the devaluation is simply because of the general divide between import and domestic.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Originally posted by flat 4:
Ford Motor Co. did not do us any favors with all the recalls and and production issues with the Focus. If a car doesn't have a sheet load of recalls/ issues that car will generally have a higher resale. ie. Honda/Toyota. The Focus is Fords cheap ass car. They don't seem to care as much about quality in the Focus vs. the Explorer. Ford doen't make much profit on the Focus, they don't care, because of the CAFE standards Ford needs a cheap car with good fuel economy car to off set the high margin SUVs that suck the gas.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">not true, every manufacturer has its fair share of recalls, but the media chooses to target FORD because its the best seller out of the domestics, for example look at a 2000 bmw x5 4.4 xi, the value: $39k.......a brand new x5 same model goes for $53k and yet the x5 has had more recalls then the focus!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by drivefaster:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ok, for 1) i wasn't expecting the price i paid for it, but 3k? come on, that's just insulting... and 2) i don't drive 600 miles a week anymore, B)i want a 4x4 c)my focus is getting to be too small for me and my friends (were all atleast 6' 180, it wasn't bad when i bought it because i was 23 then and usually the only one in the car. and finally, i am gettin tired of all the freakin kids and ricers around my area always trying to race me or talk ish to me about my car this or my car that... i'm over that...

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Trade in $7210
Private Party $9535

Maybe I should sell my Focus. People have been asking if I would sell it to them. Then I could buy an Focus RS. Hmmm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can't buy a cheap car and expect it to hold much value.
I could care less what the resale value is on the cars I buy. I drive them at least 4 or 5 years and sell them. My cars are always paid off when I dump them.

If you want resale, don't buy a car. Put all your money into the bank. Take it out in 3 years and you will be happy! Bicycles have pretty good resale.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey, I work at a dealership and they only gave me $4000. So you could imagine the everyday person trying to trade. That's why I got an eclipse now.

·
Registered
887 Posts
try to trade in ANYTHING right now and see how little they give you for it.

Dealers don't want trades because who wants to buy a used car when there is zero interest financing going around?

·
Registered
470 Posts
well, dealers do want trade in's right now, the reason is, every car dealer makes more money off selling a used car then a new one. The way they do this, is giving you nothing for your car. It may hurt a dealer right now because of 0% finance, but if they bought the car for $3000 and sold it for $6000, they're doing good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts