Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people have been asking about decibel levels between the standard FocusSport exhaust system and our "quiet" system. Here are the results when you used with a FocusSport Race header:

FS Race Header and FS standard system
idle = 92 db
3,000 rpms = 89 db
4,000 rpms = 89 db

FS Race Header and FS quiet system
idle = 89 db
3,000 rpms = 81 db
4,000 rpms = 86 db

Tests on the dyno have shown NO loss in power between the two options.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Damn I should have ordered one today instead of pads. Ohh well.... Next month.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Was that measured with the meter facing the car or 90 degrees off?

I'm impressed. Good work guys.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by OmniFocus:
Was that measured with the meter facing the car or 90 degrees off?

I'm impressed. Good work guys.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">At 90 degrees, as the dB meter's instructions indicate.

One thing everyone should keep in mind is consistencey. Tests with even slight deviations in conditions will yield different results. The key here is to look at the before and after results rather than spending too much time concentrating on overall numbers.

·
Registered
970 Posts
does anyone know the numbers on a borla exhaust?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Very nice information guys! Nice to see some numbers rather than just talk. Focus Sport has always been a cool company in my eyes

I wonder how my apex'i would do with a race header? I dont know if anyone's heard the quiet FS and the apex'i to compare, but I would be a neat thing to know. Oh well...i'll just buy another part blindly
OH and FS come on guys make a 4-2-1 header too...i really like your quality a lot, and the 4-2-1 is slightly quieter and suits the zetec (at least a lightly modded one) better than a 4-1 i'd assume.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i have the steeda tri-y race header/flex/magnaflo exhaust and when the car is warmed up it isn't louder than before the race header at idle...i have been pulled over with it and the cops didn't say a word...that is until i pulled away

·
Registered
803 Posts
Given the same Db level different frequencies are more invasive. An idling car, while maybe quieter in the more prominent frequencies overall may be producing more sound than when it's revved up higher.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by spankenstein:
Given the same Db level different frequencies are more invasive. An idling car, while maybe quieter in the more prominent frequencies overall may be producing more sound than when it's revved up higher.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That makes some sense....
The difference between ACTUAL Loudness and PERCEIVED Loudness......
Still, I'm a bit surprised/confused that a car is going to be louder at idle than 3K...

·
Registered
332 Posts
That makes this exhaust legal under California noise law. The California VC state 90 decibels or lower

1 - 20 of 23 Posts