Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got stage two today and attempted to put it on, pulled my s/c off the car and proceeded to try and figure out how the hell to get this pully off.....I was expecting maybe that there is a lock key or something....

Do I need air tools to get this thing off? No instructions with it other than put blue locktite on the bolt.... how to get the bolt off however was missed slightly..

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
You need to wrap an old belt around the pulley and hold it with a large set of chenel locks or put it in a vice but be careful of the pulley because you don't want to mess up the groves. Once you have a hold of it you can loosen the bolt that holds it on. you will need 2 small pry bars to get the pulley off the blower shaft. you will need to put equal pressure on both sides while prying to get it off smoothly. also the is a key in the key way that you want to be careful not to drop while prying the pulley off you will use it for the stage 2 pulley install. once the pulley is off the shaft just clean the shaft off set the key in the key way and slide the new pulley on. be sure to move the key into the pulley key way so that it doesn't slide all the way back to the blower housing. Vic slid the key in from the front after the pulley was on the shaft but I could not get mine to do that. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
<font color="red"> NOTE: Do NOT just pry off the pulley, you can damage the seal if the pulley doesn't come off easily.</font>

What you should do it hold the S/C in a vise by the braket. Do the old belt wrap method as todd said and remove the bolt. Now to remove the pully try just pulling it off by hand. If that doesn't work than get a torch or heat gun and slowly heat the pulley up to about 200-250 degrees farhnheit. Do not heat up the shaft only the pulley.

Now the pulley should slide off by hand but be sure to use a rag or gloves. If it still doesn't come off you can resort to using a small pry bar and using as little force as neccesary.

Vik

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
What seal will be damaged. I only had to use the stightest force to get it to move and then I pulled it off by hand the rest of the way. The inicial move was what took more force then I could pull with my hand after it started to slide it came right off and the new pulley slid right on with out any force at all.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
There is a main seal between the charger housing and the shaft. If the seal goes bad you will start leaking oil from under the pulley. Vortech reccomends not to pry on the pulleys and use heat instead. This doesn't mean that your seal is damaged. Just use heat next time with as little prying as required.

Vik

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Thanks Vik good info. I think a wheel puller would also work as long as it pushed on the shaft while it pulled on the pulley. I could not find one that would grab the pulley without damaging it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Is it possible we can purchase the kit with the stage 2 pulley all ready on. No point in having a stage 1 pulley laying around if we never going to use it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts