Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who\'s done the svt header install

Regarding the power steering line that runs way too close to the new header, where have people found that it's most likely to burn through? The horizontal bit that runs above the header or the vertical pipe that runs extremely close to the far left primary?

I've just done this mod here in the UK but would like to know which part(s) of the line are most prone to fail.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: For anyone who\'s done the svt header install

There is a metal heat-sheild (piss poor one at that) that is directly to the left of the header, inside of the metal there is a rubber hose. That hose is what melts. What I have done is wrapped the first primary on the header, and bought a torch-proof material that I put around the ps line. I've had it setup this way for a week so far, no problems (knock on wood). I still plan to buy an SVT ps line as a more permenate fix. If you have any questions at all or want some pictures let me know.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Fisch is 100% correct on the problem area. I've tried the SVT power steering line and it does not fit down at the steering rack. So I installed another standard power steering line (after I burned a hole in the first) and wrapped the line with a high temp cloth. It's ghetto but it works. The best solution is going to be a custom power steering line.

MarcusFocus - I'll be at Heathrow tomorrow (Tuesday) need anything from the states?

[ 01-13-2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: FocusBoy ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the info guys. If you can send me some photos, that would be great. My header is already heat wrapped. I bought the SVT heatshield for it but I've had to butcher it to get it to fit, still trying to fit it now. I was planning to use some of the remains to wrap around some of the power steering line. So far I've had no problems, but it's only been installed for a week.

I thought about the SVT power steering line but over here it's very very expensive, the standard one isn't much cheaper too. Custom power steering line is definately the answer.

FocusBoy - you have mail.

·
Registered
242 Posts

How hard would it be to fabricate a custom power steering line? This is something I'd definitely be interested in.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Won't be able to do it yourself. You'll have to find a place that can swage a high pressure line onto the OEM power steering line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts