Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to build my zetec powered wagon. I am trying to decied which way I should go.
forced induction
Jackson racing blower
aerocharger S2

or standard performance build.

FS head ( hopefully they will have the automatic head package available soon)
race header & flex pipe
cold air intake
pulleys
cam gears ( comes with head??)
Chip
plug wires, H/O coil pack
???

I am looking for constuctive opinions. don't even go to the point to get rid of the auto cause With my lease I am stuck for know. ( I will be keeping the car after the lease)

Tim

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Let me know when you figure this one out.

I've changed my mind so many times that I don't know WHAT to do. I love the sound of a NA 4 banger but the power these guys are getting with a turbo.... and Tom's system is sooooo nice. If I went turbo this is the one I'd choose.

I don't think I'm looking for much more than 225 to *maybe* 250 hp. It just seems like such a waste above that UNLESS you are racing.

Right now I'm on the fence over the 2.3 Duratec. It should be an easy swap once it's a "standard" engine. This is a sweet engine. The stinkin' Ranger pickup has a better engine than we have in the Focus.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
remember, youll be choking an fi setup without some of the mods under your n/a list, e.g. catback, headers, intake&manifold, tb, etc.

[ 11-14-2002, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: w00w00 ]

·
Registered
694 Posts
In my opinion you're almost always better staying NA with a stock NA engine and going for mad boost with a factory turbo. That said, the ztec has performed pretty well with low power turbos and superchargers and you can get good, 180 whp levels and drive safely for years like that. What do you want to do? Are you a drag racer, a road racer or just like to drive away from the stoplight faster because it makes you feel good? Will you be truly and completely screwed if your car sends a rod through the block? Do you want to tinker with your car forever or would you be happy with a one time infusion of power and then stop? It really all depends on what you're looking for.

·
Registered
201 Posts
wish i could help you but i have decide to wait on modding until the duratec comes out for mutiple reason.

1 i want a manual
2 it can be stroked to 2.3l
3 and buy the time it comes out the ranger guys will have mods for it
4 it gives me mad time to save up so when i get
the cat i can start modding right away(real
about 6 months after)

Question 1 i do have one question about the new focus the body will be carried over right so all the body kits will fit correct

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I started NA with exhaust, CAI, cam, then went with the JRSC. I spent too much money going in one direction first then going FI. That being said, the JRSC, though less power than a decent turbo setup, is smooth and reliable. I have had mine on for abou 30K miles and have had zero problems with it. It passes emissions, no sweat. I also did a whole bunch of other mods after going FI. I would say, choose one way then stick with it. Good thing about NA is that you can do it in "little" chunks instaed of laying out big bucks all at once.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well to answer some of the questions. I do intend on doing the lease buyout. I am looking for an all around good handling performance vehicle. I will be using it daily so the big thing will be reliablity. I am leaning more toward the JRSC if I go Forced induction.

Tim

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Hold out for the Duratec swaps. This is going to be THE sweet engine for the Focus without going through a V-6 swap.

A turbo on this thing is going to be killer.

Hold out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts